Electrical panel missing cover

Old 12-04-14, 09:45 AM
Electrical panel missing cover

Hi Everyone,

We had some HVAC work done last week and the installer pointed out that our 100amp box was missing the cover pate for the breakers. So when you open the flap on the box, you're staring at wires and conduit and everything else that's inside of there.

We live in southern California so our box is outside, recessed into our stucco exterior. The panel also shares the enclosure with our electrical meter.

My first though was to hit the internet and see if I could find a replacement. The problem though is this box is 40+ years old, and all of the labels / banging has been warn off so I have no idea what the model number is.

What options do I have at this point? I need to have the inspector come out to validate the HVAC permits that were pulled but I know he wont pass it with the panel being in the shape it's in.

I thought about just upgrading the panel, but how do you do that when the box is already recessed into your exterior wall? I really dont want to start blowing at stucco and all that.

Any input would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-14, 09:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Take a pic of the box & take it to an electrical supply house. Chances are someone there will be able to identify it & order the cover. If that doesn't work there should be a way to replace the box without breaking the wall into a million pieces.

Old 12-04-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take pictures and good measurements (using a plastic tape measure) and have a sheet metal fabricator make a cover.

If the box is a standard size, you might be able to get a rebuild kit which leaves the outer box in place, but replaces all the guts and cover.

Final option, complete replacement, which would require some stucco work.

Overall question -- if the panel has been exposed for a long time, does it have weather damage from the missing cover? Total replacement could be necessary if there's water damage.

Old 12-04-14, 03:11 PM
Thank you for the info. I happen to have a picture of what's left of the label on the inside of the box. Is there anything on this label that I can reference in my search?

Name:  IMG_2029.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 12-04-14, 03:37 PM
The box is 40+ years old, there is no way you would be able to order a replacement cover. Your best bet is to do as Ibpooks suggested.

ibpooks

Take pictures and good measurements (using a plastic tape measure) and have a sheet metal fabricator make a cover.
The next best option is replacement.

Old 12-04-14, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
If that is one of the old drop covers you could probably bend on yourself from galvanized steel or aluminum roof flashing. I've used a pieces of steel flat bar clamped to a 2x4 with the metal in between the two as an improvised break with moderate success.

This is the type cover I mean:

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  17.0 KB

Won't be as sturdy as the original though.

Old 12-04-14, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sheet metal is the way to go. Sounds like you're not missing the outside cover, but the inside one that fits around breakers. This would be relatively easy for a sheet metal fabricator to make.

Old 12-04-14, 06:33 PM
Look in your phonebook for electricians that advertise they've been around for decades.
Chances are they have a bunch of old panels they're using for temporary power. Maybe they will have a replace cover for you.