Wood panel over sheetrock - recessed electrical boxes

Old 12-06-14, 07:40 AM
Wood panel over sheetrock - recessed electrical boxes

I have a room where the previous owner had turned into a "library". Built in bookshelves, wood paneling all over.

I removed one of the switch covers and noticed the panelling was installed over the sheetrock, and therefore the electrical box sits far back from the finished wall. I assume it's the same for all the boxes in this room.

Box is metal with conduits. They cut the rectangular hole smaller than I expected, so that the device mounting holes on the mud ring are covered up.

So they used tapered wood screws to mount the switches on the thin wood panels instead.

Is this OK? I am not sure...

Should I enlarge the hole on the wood panel at the top and bottom to expose the mounting holes on the mud ring so the switches can be mounted onto them? Or is this nothing to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-14, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Electrical boxes should be flush or extend out past the combustible finish. You need to cut the paneling larger and install a box extender like an Arlington BE-1. A grounding pigtail also need to go between the box and devices.

Old 12-06-14, 08:57 AM
So they used tapered wood screws to mount the switches on the thin wood panels instead.

Is this OK? I am not sure...
In addition, the switch wasn't grounded as it was installed because the switch mounting screws were not installed into the threaded holes of the plaster frame.

Old 12-06-14, 09:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Easiest way to cut out the paneling would be with an oscillating saw.

Old 12-06-14, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Or a rotary tool like a Roto-zip.