Arc Breaker Issue

Old 12-07-14, 09:33 PM
Arc Breaker Issue

Hi, let me start by saying the problem at hand is more than likely my fault.

I live in FL, I was pressure washing my house a month ago and I sprayed an uncovered electrical outlet. It is not listed as GFSI. Outside Outlet no longer works, nor do guest bedrooms, breaker is Arc type (says arc on breaker, yellow pen clicker button on side). It is "off" and pressing test does nothing. Throwing the switch on breaker quickly jerks it back to off side. I never go in the guest rooms until the holidays so now I'm just realizing it.

Can someone help. I know I need a proper cover over the electrical outlet on the outside of the house. That will be done ASAP.

Lights were working fine before my pressure washing (gas powered, didn't blow the breaker like that)

Nothing is plugged into sockets in rooms without power, no lamps, nada. Only original ceiling lights.

Thanks (in advance) for any/all responses

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-14, 11:36 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I would expect to see an AFCI breaker in the panel for the bedroom, however, there shouldn't be an outside receptacle on that circuit.

An outside receptacle needs to be a GFI type or on a GFI circuit.

If your outside receptacle is still wet... the breaker wont reset.

Old 12-08-14, 02:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree. Since the power is off, remove the outside receptacle from the box and separate/cap off the wires. I am certain you will find moisture in the box, since you live in FL, it won't go away very easily. Try resetting the AFCI. If it resets you have power back inside the house. You, then, will need to determine which receptacle the outside one branches off of and remove it, running a new circuit to the outside receptacle, protecting it either at site with a GFCI receptacle, or a GFCI breaker, as Pete mentioned.

Old 12-08-14, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While the outside receptacles need gfi protection there is no code run that says they cannot be fed from a bedroom circuit.