What breaker for 200A main panel going to 100A subpanel?

Old 12-10-14, 06:07 AM
What breaker for 200A main panel going to 100A subpanel?

I'm using 2-2-2-4 Aluminum MHF to power my 100A subpanel from my 200A main panel. The main panel is a Cutler Hammer but I can't find a model number.

I need a 90A double pole breaker that is certified for Al wire. Is this the one I need? Zooming in shows the Cu-Al rating, but do I really need AFCI like I see around?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The breaker you linked is the correct one for a Cutler-Hammer CH series panel. These are quite easy to distinguish because the other breakers will have handle colored other-than-black and the slots are 3/4" high instead of 1" high. Culter/Eaton/etc also makes some other series panels so double check before you buy.

AFCI breakers are required for branch circuits in residences. Panel feeders do not require AFCI.

Old 12-10-14, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The CH classic breakers have a brown handle and the panel is brown. Their other series is BR and the panel is gray.

Old 12-10-14, 06:46 AM
I think my panel is different, then. All of my breakers are black handled, and although I still can't find a model number I read this on the inside of the panel:

"Use Cutler Hammer/Westinghouse type BD, BJ, BJH, BQ, BQC, BR, BRD, BRH, BRO, BRSN, GFCB, GFEP OR GFCBH circuit breakers or Challenger type A, C, CBJ, CBJH, HC or HAGF circuit breakers."

Edit

pcboss - Thanks, yes I see a lot of "BR" references on the panel. So this is in fact what I need, right? Nice to see product numbers directly relate to the product "BR290" for BR series, 2 pole, 90A rated. So considerate!

Old 12-10-14, 07:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The BR290 is the correct breaker.