UPS - Overload Neutral?

Old 12-10-14, 02:36 PM
UPS - Overload Neutral?

I bought a new UPS made by apc. It has a led on it to denote when a "building wiring fault" has occurred. The manual mentions reversed polarity, missing ground and overloaded neutral???

I understand what a missing ground and reversed polarity would mean (like my plug in tester shows)... but overloaded neutral??

What is the manufacturer referring to here? And what is this basic UPS able to detect in regards to overloaded neutrals? Please explain....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
The exact definition of "overloaded neutral" is not defined or addressed in detail in their FAQ's but the UPS may monitor the voltage between hot and neutral and hot and ground. If the neutral and the ground weren't close in voltage, like they should be, that could cause the "building wiring fault" light to illuminate.

Old 12-10-14, 05:53 PM
So your saying it has GFCI type circuitry in it?

Old 12-10-14, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
No.... no GFCI built in. It just notifies you via the light if there is an issue.

Old 12-11-14, 07:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suppose it could be monitoring if the connected PCs are overloading the neutral with switching harmonics. Is it a big UPS?

See this thread for an all-too detailed description of the phenomenon, or at least its consequences on a larger scale: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-kva-ones.html

Old 12-11-14, 09:57 AM
Is it a big UPS?
Not at all, very basic for 440W or there abouts.