220v Window A/C outlet change to outlet for 220v welder

Old 12-17-14, 06:43 AM
Not sure exactly what you are asking about it being spliced to black on the middle...... The conduit in the pic at the front is the lines for the pool pump and pool light in the pic. The yellow wire is coming off of the breaker for the pool light and the white wire is connected to the middle bar up at the top and then goes down into the conduit. The pump has a blue line off each pole going into the same run and a green wire connected to the middle bar as well.

CasualJoe: You are saying it is a 24 breaker panel so what would cause it not to accept the tandem you mentioned above? I appreciate everything so far!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-14, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
The yellow wire is coming off of the breaker
I asked you the color and you said it was white. That would be wrong but if it is yellow that is okay.

Old 12-17-14, 08:42 AM
CasualJoe: You are saying it is a 24 breaker panel so what would cause it not to accept the tandem you mentioned above? I appreciate everything so far!
No, it's a 24 space panel which means it has 24 - 3/4" circuit breaker spaces. The design of the panel determines whether tandem breakers can be used. This is a CTL (Circuit Total Limiting) panel so you cannot exceed 24 poles unless it is listed for more. If the panel is designed for tandem breakers, there should be a rectangular shaped hole punched in the mounting pan rail in the spaces where tandems would be allowed. There may be non-CTL tandem breakers out there that would fit, but it would be a code violation to use them. Non-CTL breakers are intended for pre-1968 panels as replacement breakers only.

Old 12-17-14, 11:46 AM
Ray: I thought you meant the ground/neutral wire color, sorry for the confusion!

CasualJoe: I will try to get a better look at the panel label and post it. If I shift the light break over to slot 24 this would allow me to move the bottom 2 pole on the left side up a spot and be able to install a new 2 pole below it for the dedicated line correct? There is no reason for a tandem breaker in this situation if I move the pool light break over to the other side right?

Old 12-17-14, 05:52 PM
If I shift the light break over to slot 24 this would allow me to move the bottom 2 pole on the left side up a spot and be able to install a new 2 pole below it for the dedicated line correct?
It appears that would work. After that, the panel will be full.

Old 12-21-14, 03:26 PM
I want to say thanks for all the help, did the new line today and was a lot easier that expected. Took me about 20 min as i was able to go right through the hole in the panel leading into the exterior wall and mount the outlet to a stud on the opposite side where i actually wanted it to be. Ran 8g and a 40a 2 pole. Welder works just as needed.

Thanks again

Old 12-21-14, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.