Add switch for hallway overhead fixture

Old 12-11-14, 09:24 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Add switch for hallway overhead fixture

There is a light switch just inside the back door. It services an overhead recessed fixture. When you come in from the garage, this switch is convenient for turning on the hallway light. There is only 1 switch servicing this light. It is in Box A. Box A contains 2 switches.

I would like to set up another switch for this fixture farther out into the room. I would add this switch to Box B. Box B contains 1 switch.

A second switch would be very useful because the overhead light illuminates the pantry and this small hallway, and there are times when you want light here without having to walk clear to the exit door.

Looking at Box A, the switch controlling the overhead light is a single pole with 2 black wires. The other switch in the box controls the main overhead lights for the room; although this is a 3-way, there are no red wires on it. There are a total of 4 Romex wires in that box.

Box B presently has only 1 switch; it controls an overhead fixture in the adjoining room.

Is this enough information to tell me how the fixture is connected to the switch in Box A? And how to run a new wire to Box B to control the overhead fixture?

Name:  Back Hallway.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  17.1 KB

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Back Hallway.pdf (6.1 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by ray2047; 12-11-14 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Cropped and enlarged image.
Old 12-11-14, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
Forget all the other switches. The other switches will remain wired just as they are.

You have a single pole switch that you want to change to a three way switch and add an additional three way switch. You will need to run a piece of three wire cable between the boxes.
The diagram below illustrates your new wiring. The two black wires coming in from the left are the two wires that were on the single pole switch.

Name:  3_way - Copy.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  14.3 KB

Old 12-11-14, 09:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
other switch in the box controls the main overhead lights for the room; although this is a 3-way, there are no red wires on it
What color wires are on it. If a 3-way where is the other 3-way switch?
There are a total of 4 Romex wires in that box
(Romex is cable not wire.) How many 2-conductor (black and white) cables and how many 3-conductor cables (black, red, white)?

Terminology: Wire is a single conductor. Cable is two or more conductors in a metallic or non metallic sheath.

Old 12-12-14, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You could also look at adding a wireless switch. Just started to see these advertised in trade magazines.
Remote Switches > Self-Powered Wireless Controls > Lighting Controls > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Old 12-21-14, 11:47 AM
G
to clarify

This is right on advice. Thanks.

I think I really lucked out and can reach these two cavities from underneath, in the basement.

Thanks and happy holidays. Gary

Old 12-21-14, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
And Happy Holidays to you too. Stop back if you need further help.

Old 12-24-14, 01:45 PM
G
not working?

This isn't working such that you can turn the light on from either switch. One has to be on for the other to work. Do I have the wires wrong?

Old 12-24-14, 02:16 PM
G
OK. I switched the red and white so they are on different terminals when the switches are compared. And this seems to work. Sound Right?

Old 12-24-14, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Notice the dark colored screw and the two similar lighter colored screws.

Only the wires on the black/dark terminal make a difference. The two wires on the similar colored screws can be interchanged.

Old 12-24-14, 08:03 PM
G
The position of the other wires would produce a difference, though, right? Like in this instance I had kind of a master and slave switch arrangement when the red and white were on the same terminals on both switches. But then when I made them different on the switches then either switch could turn the light on or off, regardless of the position of the toggle on the other switch?

Does the black wire not always go on the common? On both switches? And is the darker screw not always the common?

The switches I bought have common and another terminal on the same side. Others have the common on a side that has no other terminal. I wonder why there is not a standard arrangement for these switches.

Old 12-24-14, 08:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does the black wire not always go on the common?
No, it goes to what ever it is used for. It could be a traveler or a common. The power in goes to the common on one switch and the power out goes to the common on the other end. In a 3-way where the power comes in at one switch and out at the other switch it will usually be black of the 2-conductor cable but where you have a dead end 3-way with power in and power out in the same box or a switch loop it can be any color. Being self taught I always used white remarked blue on dead end 3-ways. The pros here for the most part use a different color scheme... which off hand I can't remember.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-25-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-25-14, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
When I wire a three way when power comes in one end and the the lights are out the other end... red and black are travelers and white/neutral is carried thru.

With a dead end three way.... black is typically the common and the white should be remarked.

With three way switch manufacturers there is no standardization. The only standard is the that the dark screw is always common.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: