GFCI outlets tripped in entire house

Old 12-12-14, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI outlets tripped in entire house

Asking for a friend. Just bought a new house (built in 2006) in southwest Oklahoma. Moving in today.

Every GFCI outlet in the house is tripped and cannot be reset. What would cause this? Also, it's not all on the same circuit so it's not a particular circuit giving problems. It's got GFCI outlets in the kitchen, garage, and two bathrooms and all are tripped and cannot be reset.

Thanks

On a side note, don't know if it's helpful or not - the load center brand is Eaton.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-14, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
They cannot be reset if they are not getting power from the panel. Check all the breakers first.

Also they are sensitive to damage from lightning strikes, but I would not expect all to be dead.

Old 12-13-14, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We checked the breakers when we were over there the other night. All were turned on. Turned everything off and then back on thinking maybe it would reset or something, but didn't work.

I'll have to find out if he figured anything out yet or not. I think they've stayed there a couple nights now.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-14, 07:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You are going to need an analog multimeter to do some serious testing. A non contact tester won't work. All you need is a $8 to $15 one. (Don't let help at BigBox talk you in to a digital.)

Old 12-13-14, 09:41 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Every GFCI outlet in the house is tripped and cannot be reset.
I think it would be worth checking to see how the GFCI devices were wired. IF they are wired from the load side of the first GFCI device, it's the very first GFCI device that needs to be found because it is probably tripped or faulty. IF they are all wired to the line side of the devices, you have a problem with the circuit somewhere.

Old 12-13-14, 11:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Note: If you have multiple GFCIs from the load side that is wrong also. Best practice is only one GFCI, the first one, if load side is used.