Weatherproof UPS or battery back-up?

Old 12-12-14, 01:37 PM
Weatherproof UPS or battery back-up?

I have an automatic 120v electric pump that sits on my outdoor swimming pool cover to pump off rainwater. (If too much rainwater accumulates on the 44x21' cover, the weight of the water can damage the cover.)

It just occurred to me that in a major storm with power outage, my pool cover is probably doomed because the pump won't run. (I also can't easily open the electric pool cover in an outage even if I was willing to sacrifice my pool to algae from diluted chemicals.)

I have web-searched for outdoor weatherproof UPS or battery back-up, but found nothing which appeared to be for residential use. I need at least an hour of back-up power when a major storm hits, which may make the project infeasible.

Any ideas how to find or build such a thing? Is it feasible to look for an long-run-time UPS and a waterproof enclosure?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-14, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of anything other than putting a big UPS in the house, pool shed, etc and running wiring outside for the bilge pump; or installing a standby generator for the house.

Old 12-12-14, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
A 12 volt bilge pump and a 12 volt deep discharge might be simplest. Either turn it on manually or rig a float switch.