Old work box next to new work box

Old 12-13-14, 09:47 AM
Old work box next to new work box

I have a single decora switch that the builder installed for the overhead garage light. I want to add a second switch for a second light next to this original switch.

Question is, since the existing box was a new work box, if I cut in an old work box next to it and add a single switch can I then use a double faceplate to span the two switches or would the old work box be too far spaced for this?

I really want to avoid retrofitting a dual switch in place of the original switch because the new one will be a z-wave switch.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 10:20 AM
Question is, since the existing box was a new work box, if I cut in an old work box next to it and add a single switch can I then use a double faceplate to span the two switches or would the old work box be too far spaced for this?
No, they will be too far apart.

Old 12-13-14, 10:45 AM
Thanks, CJ. Any other options I have here before I Ginsu the current box out for a larger one?

Old 12-13-14, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
It's a job we run into often. Usually it's a nailed on metal gem box that needs to be added to. I remove the metal box and install an old work two gang plastic box. Since it's larger than the metal box... if cut carefully.... will look fine.

Another advantage to the plastic box is that the cables come in the back/side allowing cables to be brought in top and bottom of box and still slide back into the wall.

Old 12-13-14, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
If the boxes for the switches are separated by a stud, putting a single plate on each should suffice.

Old 12-13-14, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure there is space for the two gang before cutting the hole. Cut the hole larger and remove the nails holding the box. Install a Smartbox or an old work box.

Old 12-13-14, 04:55 PM
It is a nailed in plastic single gang.

@mitch17 - I do have room on the opposite side of the same stud. That might be the best option; good thinking. Might even put a double gang box just to spare me down the road. It's a garage so function before fashion applies, I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies.