Two circuits in my house do not provide electricity.

Old 12-14-14, 07:38 PM
Two circuits in my house do not provide electricity.

Hello,

Just a quick background about myself. I have my bachelor's in physics. This will be my first major project in electricity, but i do know what voltage, current, power, etc... mean. I live in Virginia. The house was built around the mid-40s. The main circuit panel seems has circuit breakers (so it is after 1965?).

About eight years ago, we lost power in one room of the house. My parents did nothing to fix it; i was just finishing high school, i did nothing either. Fast forward to about a month ago. Lights in another room started to flicker, and eventually went out.

I went to the main circuit panel and removed the circuits' black wire from their respective breakers. I am sure these breakers were not good, as i did a voltage test on them. Then i put them into two different breakers, that are unused currently. Worked for a few hours, then both circuits shut off simultaneously.

Can you help me with diagnosing and fixing this issue? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-14, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

If you are going to do troubleshooting..... you need a voltmeter for measurements.

Worked for a few hours, then both circuits shut off simultaneously.
The circuit breakers tripped or the circuits went dead ?

When you troubleshoot.... you have to start at the panel. There is either voltage coming out of the breaker.... or there isn't. If there is voltage at the breaker then you have to assess what is on the circuit and start checking at each device..... one at a time.

More information here..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 12-15-14, 07:32 AM
The main circuit panel seems has circuit breakers (so it is after 1965?).
Maybe, but it could be a '50s vintage breaker panel too. Is there a name on the panel? A picture might also be helpful. If this turns out to be an issue of a bad breaker, it could be an obsolete breaker and panel.