Household voltage is 150 volts

Old 12-16-14, 02:55 PM
Household voltage is 150 volts

While trouble-shooting a GFI circuit that kept tripping I noticed the voltage was 150+/- volts. I thought it was just that circuit but then I discovered all the external outlets as well as internal outlets read the same. I had PG&E come out and check their end at the panel, but everything checked normal, 119 v. I brought my multi-tester in to work to make sure it wasn't out of calibration...it checks normal. Anybody have any ideas why I have high voltage?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-14, 03:12 PM
You may have a loose neutral in your panel.

Unplug all electronics from all affected circuits. This includes microwave ovens.

In the panel, check the connections around the neutral bus bar for discoloration. Check all screws and set screws for tightness and tighten up any that are loose. (For breaker terminal screws, flip off the breaker before touching the screw with a screwdriver.) For now leave the big lugs with the fat wires coming in untouched for an expert to tighten up.

Have you checked hot to neutral and hot to ground for every single breaker?

Plug in a hair dryer and leave it running while you remeasure all the voltages. Are any breakers showing close to 120 volts? Big changes in voltage, rising on some circuits, dropping on other circuits, when you turn the hair dryer on mean a neutral problem.

Old 12-16-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I brought my multi-tester in to work to make sure it wasn't out of calibration...it checks normal.
So that means when you checked circuits in the house you measured around 119vac like the power company measured ?

If you measure high voltage on one circuit..... that we can instruct you on but the entire house is high and the power company measured 119vac at the meter doesn't make sense.

Old 12-17-14, 11:18 AM
I didn't check every single circuit in the house, just every one I checked read 150 +/-. I'm pretty sure I tested enough different circuits to be able to assume the whole house is high. I agree, PG&Es report doesn't make sense.

Old 12-17-14, 11:23 AM
I haven't checked every circuit or breaker, but I will check neutrals in the panel first chance I get. Thanks, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

Old 12-17-14, 05:38 PM
I haven't checked every circuit or breaker, but I will check neutrals in the panel first chance I get
In the panel is the best place to start. While you are in there, check the voltage across both hot legs and from each hot leg to neutral.