Grounding Detatched Garage Circuit

Old 12-18-14, 06:49 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding Detatched Garage Circuit

My house was built in the 1950's. The panels were recently updated (before I moved in this past summer) with 240V AND 120V service. Almost every breaker on the 120V panel is a GFCI breaker. Some wiring in the house has been updated, but the detached garage has older 2-conductor wiring running underground from the panel into the garage and up into a junction box. The box has a pair of ungrounded (2-prong) receptacles and then the wiring continues to a pair of switches and overhead lighting. I'd like to update the receptacles at the junction box to three-prong grounded, so that I don't need to use an adapter for a shop light, power tools, etc. The garage circuit is on a 20 amp GFCI breaker. Is it possible (or even necessary) to ground this circuit from the box to a ground rod? Or would it be just as well to update the receptacles to three prong with an open ground since the circuit is on a GFCI breaker? I had an electrician come take a look at the home when I moved in, and apparently having either the first receptacle in a circuit be a GFCI unit, or putting the entire circuit on a GFCI breaker is up to code where I live.

Old 12-18-14, 06:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it possible (or even necessary) to ground this circuit from the box to a ground rod?
No and no plus a code violation.
Or would it be just as well to update the receptacles to three prong with an open ground since the circuit is on a GFCI breaker?
That would be the code approved way. Each receptacle would have to be marked GFCI Protected - No Ground. I would though be concerned how power was run to the garage and if the materials used were past their expected life span and a problem waiting to happen.

Old 12-19-14, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The ground rod has nothing to do with the third prong on a receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: