Above-ground hot tub electrical connection

Old 12-18-14, 06:14 PM
Above-ground hot tub electrical connection

I have a 4-person 110v above ground hot tub that I'd like to setup near my in-ground swimming pool. I'm wondering it it is acceptable code-wise to use the power-outlet that is connected to the pool's timer box.

The tub is about 15' from the pool and about 10' from the timer outlet and is bonded to the timer with a #8 solid wire.

Thanks,

Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-14, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

With the receptacle at 10' from the tub, it is at the max distance for the requirements of having a receptacle for servicing the tub, so you are OK. The receptacle is required to be GFCI protected. Also be sure that this circuit is able to handle the load.

Old 12-18-14, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info! The receptacle and the cord are both GFCI protected. I'll check the info on the tub tomorrow to see if I can find out how much power it draws.

Regarding the 10', when you are saying it is at the "max distance", would that mean I can't move it closer or I can't move it farther away?

Thanks again,

Terry

Old 12-20-14, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
The NEC requires a receptacle no closer then 6', and no farther then 10', away from the tub for servicing. IMO - if it is about 10' your fine, just so its not on the other side of the yard.