Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Low voltage switch to power a 110V pump, with a timer countdown (I think)

Old 12-18-14, 08:52 PM

The previous owner of our house faked his way through improper hot water plumbing by running a recirculating pump 24/7 so hot water was always at hand. Wasteful of propane.

I bought a smart product that keeps the pump off until it detects the movement of hot water out the water heater (e.g., when you turn on hot water). Then it lets the pump run for a couple minutes before shutting it off.

Well, the electronic part of it failed. And the guy who runs the one-man company is a nightmare to deal with. So what can I do myself here? There's a valve that plumbs into the hot water line that completes the power circuit when water moves. That is mechanical and still working fine. How can I connect the two low voltage wires from it to....something.... that can connect up the power to the pump, and start a countdown of say 2 minutes until it disconnects the power again?

Just typing this makes my head hurt.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-14, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
What you need is a count down timer and relay. If you Google you will get lots of hits. Just an example: Fully Assembled Countdown Timer Module with Relay Control Home Use Paintball | eBay

Old 12-19-14, 01:02 AM
Group Moderator
We would also need to know what those two wires do when the water moves. Do they pulse, do they just short, do they open, etc ?

ON EDIT:
I bought a smart product that keeps the pump off until it detects the movement of hot water out the water heater
I just reread that. Not terribly effective. Once you need hot water.... the pump turns on.... it's a little late at that point... isn't it ??

Last edited by PJmax; 12-19-14 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 01:14 AM
Give me some more details such as the low voltage figure, how it is derived from the normal house power and if possible pictures of the installation and I may be able to help.

Old 12-19-14, 10:32 AM
PJmax,

The two wires are merely to complete the circuit. Low voltage comes out of the box and goes to the valve, and when the valve is open, it completes the circuit.

As for needing hot water, it's a pain, yes. But really you just turn it on for a second, do something else for 60 seconds, and then go back to the faucet which is now ready with hot water. That beats running the 90watt pump constantly, heating all the water in the lines (we're on propane, which is $$$).

Old 12-19-14, 10:36 AM
Furd, I wish I could answer that but I'm a bit of a dummy with stuff like this. The pump plugs into the control box, and the box plugs into the 110v wall receptacle. The control box has two low volt wires that go to the flow sensor valve, so when water moves through the pipe the valve opens and completes the circuit.

As an aside, I plug the box in and the pump runs for its preset interval. So power is connected and working. But when the water runs, the pump doesn't kick on. I tested the box, and the two low volt wires have no current running through them. I had tested before it failed, and it did have current.

Old 12-19-14, 10:48 AM
Open the "box" and take some pictures to post. You may only have a burnt out fuse.

Old 12-19-14, 11:33 AM
Hoping this attachment worked from blackberry!

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-14, 11:38 AM
To the right is the power to the pump. The left is the incoming power to the wall receptacle, and the two low voltage wires to the flow sensor valve (presumably when a low volt circuit is closed from the sensor valve being open from water moving in the pipe, the power is switched on via a timer relay connecting power to the pump).