gfci keeps tripping

Old 12-19-14, 06:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gfci keeps tripping

I have an old power strip from a work bench that I put in my shed. It is on a gfci circuit. I hooked everything up and it immediately tripped. I cannot find what is wrong. With no power hooked to the power strip the breaker will trip as soon as I hook the neutral and ground up in the breaker box. I cannot figure out what would trip the gfci. the only power into the shed is from one source. only 3 wires coming in. Hot, neutral and ground. why would the gfci trip with only neutral and ground connected.

Old 12-19-14, 07:24 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Where is the gfci in relation to the power strip? Is it a breaker or a receptacle you're connecting to?

Check your power strip. If the neutral and ground are connected together you'll trip a gfci.

Old 12-19-14, 07:31 PM
D
It is a breaker. the strip is not grounded. the power goes from the breaker to an outside plug, then from the outside plug into a 15 amp breaker box and the non grounded strip is run off that breaker.

Old 12-19-14, 07:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the GFCI doesn't trip with the power strip not plugged in then it is the power strip.

Old 12-19-14, 07:42 PM
D
There is a 220 plug in the strip that is hooked up but not in use. It uses the neutral as a ground. the entire strip is built into metal boxes connected with emt. Would the 220 plug be my issue due to the neutral being ground on that?

Old 12-19-14, 07:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What you described in your last post is not what I call a power strip. It would be a code violation to connect a neutral and ground. That connection is what is tripping the GFCI and is a serious safety hazard.

There is a 220 plug in the strip
Never saw one of those.

Please fill in your location information. Your last post left me thinking you weren't in the U.S. till I ran your IP.

Old 12-19-14, 07:52 PM
D
That is kinda what I thought. The strip is from my grandfathers workbench that is probably 50 years old. My thought was to completely rewire it and bring it up to code. I don't think my father wants to due to sentimental reasons. the thing is really neat and worked before as a testing station on a work bench. I appreciate you guys confirming my suspissions. I will rebuild it properly in the morning.

Old 12-19-14, 08:06 PM
D
I thought I had filled out where I was. Sorry, guess I didn't save it.
The "strip is pretty cool. It was originally ran off a 220 breaker. It goes out of breaker box and into a 220 plug. Then one Hot lead goes to a 2 gang set of 110 plugs where 1 out of the 4 outlets is hooked to a light socket. you put a bulb in the socket and that single plug works as a test light. My grandfather owned an electrical company and I think this was built when my father was a child. He is now 66. I am sure when it was built it was all up to code. Now days though, I look at it and cant figure out how it ever worked. it is amazing the differences in the way things were done back then and now. I wired my entire house and had zero problems. Probably went overkill with 10 ga wiring but I would rather not risk it.

Old 12-20-14, 05:23 AM
A
Received 159 Upvotes on 132 Posts
You wired your entire house with AWG #10 wire? Why? What ratings are the breakers? How did you connect #10 to receptacles? Receptacles are rated 15 an 20amp. ????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: