Outdoor timer switch wiring

Old 12-22-14, 12:27 PM
Outdoor timer switch wiring

Hello - I received such fast & great help on my last post with a bathroom light/fan - hoping I can get the same here assuming I describe my issue correctly

I have a outdoor timer switch that has gone bad - & I think it's from the electrician who last put it in (when doing some other work). My thought is that the timer either is just bad or the wiring is wrong - & I'm leaning on the latter since this was only my 2nd switch in 10 years (before any major work was done in the house).

Per the 2 pics - the first is the current state & the 2nd includes that and the new switch. My uncertainty is in the wiring of the new - I did try it & got "close" - but I know it wasn't right b/c the on/off did nothing & the lights stayed on full time. So with the new - there are 5 wires vs. 3 (now black, blue, red, green, white vs. the black, blue, red). Is it as simple as just matching up the colors again & capping off the white/green? Or - if I assume my current wiring is incorrect - do the pictures help illustrate what may be wrong?

All insights appreciated & I can willingly answer more questions / take pics as necessary!

--STName:  IMG_2218.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  30.0 KBName:  IMG_2219.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  32.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-14, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Are both pictures of your old switch? Are the wires dangling into the second picture from your new switch? What is your new switch and according to its documentation what are each of the five wires?

Old 12-22-14, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
White is needed for it to function. If there is no neutral in the switch box it won't function. Are there two or more white wires in the box connected only to each other? if so that is your neutral.