New 200 amp service underground


Old 12-23-14, 04:58 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
New 200 amp service underground

I am new to the forums so I apologize in advance if I am doing this incorrectly.

I need to take 200 amp service from a meter box/pole underground for a distance of 250-300 ft. Our county bases their regulations on the NEC 2008 guidelines.

From the meter box 300 ft in distance to the house (wet environment), what type of conductor(s)/conduit combination should I go with?

For example, can I get by with using 2 inch or smaller schedule 40 PVC conduit or do I have to go with 3 inch? I am looking for something relatively inexpensive, without too much loss.

Thank you :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-14, 06:36 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,594
URD direct buried would be one option. If you've ground is rocky I would advise conduit with XHWN conductors.
Old 12-24-14, 09:29 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 9,397
Is there a 200 amp circuit breaker or fusible switch at the meter on the pole?

Last edited by ray2047; 12-24-14 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Remove misplaced quote.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes