crimping 6 awg lugs to stranded copper cables

Old 12-24-14, 11:54 AM
crimping 6 awg lugs to stranded copper cables

I broke off the ring terminal at the end of the garden tractor battery ground wire. I purchased a GB [Gardner Bender] 6 AWG heavy duty lug and it fits over the cable. Now I need to crimp the lug to the cable. GB says I should crimp with a GB GRP-26. I cannot find one at the local big box store or in the GB online catalog. The crimpers available online may not be large enough to crimp 6 AWG as there is nothing in the description that indicates how large a lug it will crimp [see ]URREA 9-1/2 in. Long Rubber Grip Heavy Duty Diagonal Cutting Pliers With Terminal Crimper-208G - The Home Depot. The supplier is a 60 mile round trip. What can I use to crimp this lug onto the cable without buying a $32 tool and driving for an hour?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-14, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you call a local electrian and ask if they will crimp it? Not all have crimpers so it might take a few phone calls.

Old 12-24-14, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
If it fits snugly I might try soldering it on. The Home Depot I use to work for had crimpers for making up wire rope loops for customers. They might work and they'd probably let you use them. Same goes for hardware stores.

Old 12-24-14, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
That hand crimp tool won't crimp much larger than #10 wire and that's pushing it.

You need a hammer crimping tool. They are available at most big box stores, Harbor Freight, Sears, and some auto parts stores. The tool should run 8-12$.

I have several and they work great for those type lugs.

Name:  hammer crimp tool.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 12-24-14, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
I have crimped several different ways.

1. There is soldering like Ray2047 mentioned. For something like that I would not even try a soldering iron and would go right for a torch.

2. I have a good, commercial quality shop vice that can generate a surprising clamping force. Holding a large nail or steel rod between the lug and vice jaws does a pretty good job and it's easy to control the amount of crimp applied.

3. I'm lucky enough to have a 5 ton manual and 40 ton hydraulic press. The hydraulic will crimp about anything but I have to be careful and be gentle as you can go to far and crimp the lug completely in half. A local machine shop might "kiss" it for you in their press.

4. With a helper I've held the wire & lug in place on an anvil and held a steel rod across the lug. Then have someone hit the steel bar with a 3-5 pound mallet.

5. Now that I see the crimper that PJmax posted I've got to get one for myself. It looks easier than many of the ghetto methods I've used.

Old 12-24-14, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Dane I've used those hammer crimpers for years. It's a simple one man job and a very repeatable and effective crimp.

Old 01-18-15, 11:19 AM
A hand-held crimper worked

My son brought his hand-held crimper and did a great job crimping the lug to the ground wire. I did not think that his crimper would work but since I had 2 6AWG lugs we thought it was worth a try. It worked great.