Replacing cable that appears stuck in a concrete wall

Old 12-29-14, 12:46 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing cable that appears stuck in a concrete wall

I bought a house 2 years ago that was already fully Internet-ready. A previous owner (before 2005) had installed numerous ethernet points throughout the house, including points on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the house.

It became apparant to me that the cabling on the upper floors needed to be replaced. I thought this would just be a case of loosening the respective cables at both ends and pulling through a replacement cable. But it isn't quite this easy. The cables simply won't budge. From both the meter cupboard end downstairs and exit terminals upstairs I have traced the cables until they enter a concrete wall. No matter how hard I pull on either end there is no movement. Is there anything I can do to try and free the cables?

Some additional information:
- I have no idea where the cables go once they enter a concrete wall. I have an idea, but can't be certain.
- I would prefer not to rip apart any walls in solving this.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-14, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Why do you think the cabling needs replacing? I doubt you will extricate the cabling from a concrete wall. Often concrete slag can cause whatever is pulled into the cavities to be captive.

Old 12-29-14, 01:45 PM
K
The cabling upstairs has limited or no functionality. Enough functionality to be sure that the cable is at least complete (i.e. hasn't been severed in the middle) but isn't providing me internet access. As I say, this cabling was installed pre-2005 so I would want to replace it anyway.

Old 12-29-14, 02:08 PM
M
It's probably at least CAT 5, possibly 5e which should be more than adequate for a home system. I'm wondering if your problems may be the result of improperly installed connectors on the ends of the cables? It probably would be beneficial to rent a cable tester and check the cables themselves, they really don't deteriorate over time in most circumstances.