Need to Build Frequency Emitter for Blind Dog

Old 12-31-14, 09:06 AM
Need to Build Frequency Emitter for Blind Dog

Hi there everyone! This is my first post, thanks for being such an awesome community to join!

I have a dog who went blind a few years ago and, as she ages, is getting noticeably more uncomfortable walking around the house. She finds herself lost even though she's well aware of the layout, and I think I have a solution.

My idea is to create a "north star" for her. I want a noise to be emitted right near her crate and food/water. So I went online and found this DIY:

How to make a Frequency Generator:

Which is pretty fantastic. It's nearly exactly what I need to do sans speaker system. The problem is that I've never worked with circuitry or any sort of engineering like this. I'm an amateur motorcycle mechanic and amateur programmer though, so I'm confident that I can follow instructions

But I need 2 additions to it (that are interconnected). Perhaps my first prototype doesn't need this, but the final version absolutely needs a "food" setting. I need to be able to press a button, and have the emitter change frequencies to indicate that food is in her dish. I need that frequency to then revert back to the "north star" level after a constant period of time (15 min, whatever).

What exactly would I need to do in order to repurpose that DIY emitter into what I'm looking for?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated by both me and blind little Belle!

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-14, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Would you be open to a plan B? You wrote:
and amateur programmer though
It seems a computer could do the same thing with the right program. The computer could be old and obsolete and still do this. Not a programer so maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-31-14, 10:02 AM
Yea I could and I thought about this but decided against it because a stationary computer is far too big for my purpose. The goal ultimately is to be able to add portability which means if we go anywhere, I can set up a north star again. Lugging around a computer (never mind a 470,000lb obsolete computer!) is rather impractical

Old 12-31-14, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
I think simplest would a radio tuned between stations so you have soft background/neutral static. You might also look at sleep and background sound generating boxes. You can change the sound if you want for food an animal generally doesn't need something to tell it to go check it's bowl. You simply calling the dog or the sound of food hitting the bowl is probably enough to let them know. Then he can follow the sound to check the bowl.

Old 01-02-15, 10:51 AM
Hi Dane,

That's sort of a completely different thing. The goal is to put a distinguishable sound emitter. It's not that the silence bothers her, it's that she gets disoriented. My hope is that by adding some sort of sound that none of my 3 roommates can hear, I can give her a unique locating device.

Old 01-02-15, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
I only read that you wanted a sound generator. You did not mention you wanted it beyond the range of human hearing.

Here is a ultasonic sound generator for $15. You'd have to hook it up to a piezio speaker and there is no volume control but a simple pot switch might take care of that. Being ultrasonic you'll have to keep an eye on your dog to find a volume that's audible to her but not painful.

Old 01-03-15, 05:52 AM
Please be careful. Piezo elements can emit painfully loud high frequency sounds with very little input power. Four watts may not seem like much, but it can result in close to 100dB of sound level from a piezo at three feet. That's enough to scare your dog. A volume control (8 ohm L-Pad) on the output wires will tame that beast.