Wiring 12/3 wire with only one open slot in breaker box?

Old 12-31-14, 01:08 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring 12/3 wire with only one open slot in breaker box?

Hi Guys...trying to figure out some stuff on how to wire my mini split a/c system.

So I opened up the breaker box, and only have 1 open slot, and I need to wire a 230v connection to my minisplit a/c system. I think I've got a few options, but wasn't sure which was best.

1) I already have a 15amp line that runs back there that went to an old above ground pool that used to be back there. It's not currently in use, but I think uses the standard 'marco' or 14/2 line? I'd like to keep that line and connect it to my shed on that side of the house, a 300 watt outdoor landscape transformer, and maybe like 3 outlets that would never be under any serious load. BUT...I don't think I could wire the 230 - 20amp circuit for the a/c since my breaker box only has one open slot for the 12/3 wire?

2) I currently have a 50amp gfci circuit run in my garage (it's for my home brewery that never pulls more than 24 amps). I 'think' I could extend that circuit with the 12/3 wire to the back A/C unit. There I could simply exchange the on/off box for a 20amp 'sub-breaker' box, and wire up the A/C unit? That way I could use the 15amp line that's already been run back there for other stuff. I think I prefer this option. Will something like that work? The thing is I got the GFCi to protect me from shocking the crap out of myself. Does the 12/3 wire have a neutral wire included to extend it to the other box? Would that mess up the neutral signal to the GFCI if I extended it to a sub panel if the A/C unit has no need for a neutral line?

3) My third option which I really don't like is to just pull the old 15amp circuit, and use that with the open slot and wire the 12/3 wire directly into the box. I don't really want to do that unless that's my only option because I really could use that other 15amp circuit that's already been run back there.

Thanks for any tips guys.

Old 12-31-14, 02:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I currently have a 50amp gfci circuit run in my garage (it's for my home brewery that never pulls more than 24 amps).
Sound like a code violation if this is a detached garage and you have a separate circuit for lights. Lets clear this up first and go from there. If this is a detached garage you could install a subpanel and use that to power shed and yard lights and get rid of the unused 15 amp circuit to free up space for the new 240 (not 230) breaker.

Old 01-01-15, 09:43 AM
J
The garage is attached and has 2 circuits - the one is a 15amp service which constantly pops that powers the sockets and the opener. The other is the 50amp gfci circuit that runs under the stairs in my garage to a single outlet I use to power my homebrew setup.

Old 01-01-15, 10:28 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Tell us about the main panel, is it 100 amp, 125 amp, 200 amp? Will the main panel accept tandem breakers? Do you have a catalog number of the panel?

Another possibility, are there any lightly loaded single pole circuits that could be combined to free up a space?

Old 01-01-15, 10:32 AM
J
It's a 200amp panel, and yes, it will accept tandem breakers - the 50a gfci is a tandem breaker. On the lower left is where the 20amp circuit runs that fed the pool that isn't in use - but as I mentioned before it's a 14-2 cable (I believe...I know it only has 3 wires total). Directly below that is the saddle that's not in use. The white breaker is the 50amp gfci that feeds an 8 or 6 gauge 3 core + 1 ground wire. Here's a picture:

Old 01-01-15, 10:58 AM
It's a 200amp panel, and yes, it will accept tandem breakers - the 50a gfci is a tandem breaker.
No, the 50A GFCI breaker is a 2-pole breaker, not a tandem breaker. I do, however, see you have some tandem breakers with the blue handles. A tandem breaker provides two single pole circuits in one space. With some rearrangement of the breakers and adding a couple single pole tandem breakers, you could free up enough space for what you want to do. It's a Bryant panel and appears to be a 20-40 panel. Use Cutler-Hammer BR series tandem breakers. I believe the correct catalog number would be BD2020 or BD1515, but I am not 100% certain. Regardless, use CTL tandem breakers.

Old 01-01-15, 11:47 AM
J
Ah! I see exactly what you're talking about! Quick question:

The 20amp lower left line is the old pool circuit. The tandem breaker on the lower right doesn't have a line run to it. Should I just switch that 20amp pool line (the pool is gone, so it's not in use, I was planning on using it for 3 outlets that won't see a heavy load and an outdoor landscaping 300w transformer) to the 4th blue tandem breaker on the right side, and then just get a single 20amp breaker for the last slot on the left, and then run the one red wire and one black wire from the 12/3 to each of the 20amp single pole breakers on the left (So I'd need to purchase one red single pole breaker)? The air conditioner needs a 20 amp breaker total...so I'm not sure how that might affect it?

Old 01-01-15, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
No. Your A/C requires a 2 pole 20 amp breaker, not two single poles. You will need two spaces adjacent to each other.

Old 01-01-15, 12:29 PM
J
Ah I got you. Sounds good.

Old 01-01-15, 07:39 PM
The 20amp lower left line is the old pool circuit. The tandem breaker on the lower right doesn't have a line run to it. Should I just switch that 20amp pool line (the pool is gone, so it's not in use, I was planning on using it for 3 outlets that won't see a heavy load and an outdoor landscaping 300w transformer) to the 4th blue tandem breaker on the right side
That will work. I believe the blue handled breakers are 15A.

Then, like Tolyn said, put a 2-pole 20 amp breaker at the lower left 2 spaces. I believe the breaker you'll need is a Cutler-Hammer BR220.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: