14/3 - would this application conform with Code?

Old 01-02-15, 10:40 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 14/3 - would this application conform with Code?

Greetings! I'm not well versed with use of 3-conductor AC cabling and have a question regarding it. I would like to install a spot light on either side of my home, and want each to be switched separately.

I have an unused 14/3 with ground that runs from my attic to my garage already. I would install the switches for these new lights in the garage. QUESTION 1: Is it legitimate for me to run a 14/2 feed into the switch box and feed both switches and then use the 14/3 with black to switch one light and then red to switch the other light while the neutral wire and ground wire are shared for both new lights?

QUESTION 2: Now I explained the above to one of the fellas working in one of the big box store electrical sections. He explained that using the 14/3 in an end-of-the-line switch configuration would be legit. He suggested feeding both new lights from my attic fan circuit, which is a 15A, 14/2 home run to the breaker panel. So, install a junction box in the attic and pull a 14/2 feed from the fan junction box to it, and then pull a 14/2 from each light to the junction box. Tie the neutrals together and the grounds together. Then pull the 14/3 to this new junction box and tie the red to the black feed, the black to black of one light, and then white (coloring it black with marker or wrapping with electrical tape) to the black of the other light. Then at the switches, connect the red to both switches, and then the black to one switch and the white (now colored black in some fashion) to the other switch.

It would be great if either one of these options would be legitimate because running cable 3 stories is no easy task in my home with the wall layout. I had to open up a wall when running RG6 and CAT6, which has long been repaired and painted, so the thought of doing it again isn't pleasant! Only wish I had the foresight to run a few Romex home runs while it was open!

TIA

Old 01-02-15, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Both options will work but I like your first idea the best.

Old 01-03-15, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If the second option is used the feed to the switches needs to be the remarked white per NEC 200.7. That option also does not supply the neutral at the switch that newer codes also require.

Old 01-03-15, 08:36 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pjmax & pcboss - thank you!

I feel better knowing either configuration is legit (with a little modification to option 2). I can got with option 1 without problem to conform with the "convenience" neutral at the switch. I was told I could go without it because I will never have timer, sensor, or other remote on them and there's a loophole in the Code that says it's not necessary for adequacy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: