Running 60A from the house to the Barn.

Old 01-04-15, 10:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Running 60A from the house to the Barn.

Ok. So about a year ago I had an electrician install me a 220v 60A circuit on my panel and wire it to a subpanel in my office. The subpanel has two 30a breakers if I remember correctly. What I am wanting to do is disconnect that subpanel and remove that cable and run a longer cable to the barn with is about 150' or less. What kind of cable would I need to run? And I should be good to go with the existing 60a circuit and subpanel. Right?
Old 01-04-15, 11:20 AM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 514
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You're on the right track, the type of wire you use will be determined by whether it's run overhead or underground and whether it's in conduit or not underground.

Last edited by Msradell; 01-04-15 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 11:20 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What loads will you have in the barn? Does the subpanel have a main breaker?
Old 01-04-15, 11:23 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,343
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
Leave the current subpanel and install a 60 amp breaker there. Then feed your run to the barn off the 60 amp breaker. Wiring method to barn will depend as Msradell posted.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: