Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Design of Plastic Case for Toys, Any Online Courses, Online Tutorials, or Books?

Design of Plastic Case for Toys, Any Online Courses, Online Tutorials, or Books?

Old 01-04-15, 09:53 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Recently I got the "maker" bug. I would like to create some electronic toys or gadgets. For that, I need a plastic case that will secure the circuit board, switch, batteries, and other small parts.
For circuit board I found very good tutorials and software, which allow me to design and order customized circuit board.
However, I can only find some 3D software like tinkerCAD to design a plastic case. I have difficulty to find good resources on how to design a robust, stylish, and safe gadget case. I am such a newbie in case design that I do not even know the terms in this field. So my google search got me nowhere.
I know there are many excellent design studio that could help. But I would like to release the "Jony Ives" inside me, or to find out how unreachable Jony Ives is to me. For example, no human being can reach the sky without tools. But it is fun to jump around and find out what is like for human being to try.
Thanks for advance.

Old 01-04-15, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
An excellent source of....... stuff. I'd highly recommend a magazine subscription.
Nuts & Volts Magazine - For The Electronics Hobbyist

As far as project boxes....look up surplus companies.
Surplus Enclosure - Electronic Surplus
Project Boxes

Old 01-05-15, 04:35 PM
E
PJmax is superb as always.
Last time you solved my multimeter fuse problem.

I will start with the magazine.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-15, 08:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Even Radio Shack stocks them.

Old 01-06-15, 07:35 PM
E
Thank "joecaption1" for mentioning Radio Shack.
From their online catalog I found several available in my neighborhood.
I just went a local DIY store first, and found some box that I can use for prototyping.

What I want to learn is to design some stylish commercial product like the case for remote control or mp3 player.

Old 01-06-15, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Most plastic cases are injection molded which is a procedure that is pretty hard to duplicate at home and in small quantities.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: