Help hooking up outlet box from light fixture

Old 01-06-15, 06:07 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help hooking up outlet box from light fixture

Hello I am trying to remove a photoelectric switch and run that cable to a power outlet, but the cable that went to the electric switch had a red black and white lines. Every time I try to wire it up the light quits working, the only way I can get it to work is by replacing the photoelectric switch.

I would love some help from some experienced people to show me what is going on.

Thank you guys!

Strother Simpson

Below are pictures showing the detail, I know the wire coming in is a 3 wire line with a ground too, but I thought it would likely only be using one if the switch had both being hooked to it. Please help me I am learning all this stuff.

Name:  Out of Light.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  Junction Box.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  Photoelectric Switch.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 01-06-15, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The photocell is just a switch connecting the black to the switched red.

You need to strip more of the sheath off the yellow cable. You should have at least 6" of free conductor.

The grounds need to be spliced and also bonded to the box. Use a 10-32 ground screw.

Old 01-06-15, 06:29 AM
S
Okay thank you so much I will strip more of the sheath off.

As for the grounds can you elaborate on how I would splice them?

Lastly does this mean that I should connect the red incoming wire to the black outgoing wire?
Is that what you mean with the switch?

Old 01-06-15, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wrap the one ground around the ground screw and then take the free end and splice it with a wire nut to the other ground.

The black is typically the constant hot, the red is a switched hot. If they are spliced to together the red will be on or hot.

Old 01-06-15, 06:43 AM
A
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
Connect the receptacle to the black (to the gold receptacle screw) and to the white (to the silver receptacle screw).

Connect the red and black wires to a new switch (or leave the photoelectric switch connected as it was).

Use short lengths (pigtails) of black wire as needed to extend black or red wires and use short lengths of white wire as needed to extend white wires to reach the needed connections. Use short lengths of bare wire to extend ground wires as needed. One such should go to the green screw of any new receptacle or switch.

All ground wires from all cables entering the box should be interconnected. Just twisting is not good enough; a wire nut is needed to hold them together.

Pigtails are not needed if only one wire needs to be attached to a given screw and it comes out of a cable far enough to reach.

Old 01-06-15, 06:46 AM
S
Okay sorry for so many questions but I just want to make sure.

Got the grounding part now.

As for hooking it up you think that best way would be to splice black and red together attach those to the outgoing black for the plug, then white to white and box grounded ground to outgoing ground?

I had tried different combinations and none had worked but I hadn't tried that.

Old 01-06-15, 06:58 AM
S
Thank you, okay I think I see now. So the black is always hot travels to the switch and depending on light conditions will connect black to red sending power back to the light?

So if I want it to always be on then I just need to connect the incoming black and red together, attach those to the outgoing black. Then white to white and complete the grounding as mentioned.

Thank you for your help let me know if this is wrong.

Old 01-06-15, 07:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want both to be constant hots, they will both splice to the hot black.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: