Sharp edge of aluminum siding and NM wire

Old 01-09-15, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp edge of aluminum siding and NM wire

I have an outdoor light fixture with a work box that's fed NM wire through a hole in aluminum siding. Is there anything I can put around the rim of the hole in the siding to keep it from cutting through the sheathing on the wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure what size hole you have, but a conduit fitting bushing Halex 3/8 in. Flexible Metal Conduit (FMC) Anti-Short Bushing (35-Pack)-75401 - The Home Depot would be one solution. Of course you need to protect the NM. Does it go all the way through the wall? Or just inside it?

Old 01-09-15, 09:38 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
You have an old work box for the fixture but the cable is coming through the siding? can you post a pic of that? The box should be cut through the siding and the cable brought into the box.
Geo

Old 01-09-15, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's an inch-wide square hole in the aluminum siding with the NM coming through it. The NM runs inside the wall, stapled just inside the hole and then pops out the hole.

There's a wooden mounting plate that's cut in on the back to fit over the siding. And then a metal pancake box fits into the wooden plate.

I think I can use a clamp (should I use metal or plastic?) in the knockout in the back of the mounting box, but there's the 2nd hole in the siding about an 3/4" back behind the box. Is there something I can place on the sharp siding edge?

Name:  fixture.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  45.5 KB

Old 01-09-15, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You could pull the pancake box off, stick a short piece of 1/2" pvc conduit through the back KO, and replace the box. That will protect the cable transitioning to the outside of the house. Caulk up the hole.

Old 01-09-15, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Take a razor knife and cut the hole in the siding larger.