Voltage Drop In Mobile Home

Old 05-18-15, 10:56 AM
CasualJoe
Lowes has a lot of errors on their descriptions, it isn't rated for 240 amps or 315 amps if it is direct buried regardless of what it says.
I know, so I did take your comments seriously and checked it out to be sure.
The cable is made by Southwire it is USE-2 rated at 90C
NEC tables 310.16 and 310.15 say USE-2 4/0 Aluminum is rated at 205 amps and 200 amps respectively so it appears you were correct to say that cable is not rated at 300+ amps. I am not sure where Lowes and Nassau electrical got their specs from I think I will email them about this.
My panels are protected by 200 amp breakers. I doubt the NEC would give the actual failure point as their allowable ampacity rating, I feel sure it is somewhat higher than 200 amps so I think 4/0 Aluminum should still be ok.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
I believe Joe was quoting the 75 column because of the ratings for the connectors at the panels. NEC allows you to round up if it is not a common breaker size so 180 can be ro8unded to 200.

Since the old wire is not long enough how wow were you going to splice the wire you use for ground?

Old 05-18-15, 06:08 PM
ray2047
Since the old wire is not long enough how wow were you going to splice the wire you use for ground?
I have an inline coupler and some adhesive lined heavy heat shrink. I am going to use two pieces of it to protect the splice, first a 6" piece and then a 10" piece over the top of it. I think that should create a waterproof seal.

Old 06-07-15, 12:21 PM
Just to give an update, the inline splice from Meyer was great, I spliced the two old phases which after cleaning them up I found were actualy 3/0 not 4/0 as I had thought. The 6" piece of heavy wall heatshrink went on tight and smooth and covered the splice nicely the 10" piece then covered all of it creating an overall nice smooth cover.
I decided to use that as the neutral so the end result is the two phases are 4/0 the neutral is 3/0 spliced and the ground is 2/0 I tested it by running some power tools and lights, there was a slight dimming of light when I started up my skillsaw on the same circuit as lights already turned on but I think that is normal.

Old 06-07-15, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out

Old 06-07-15, 10:58 PM
Your welcome and thanks to everyone for their input, I learned a lot, I was so happy when I turned the power on and everything worked