3 cables on receptacle

Old 01-15-15, 11:01 AM
Post 3 cables on receptacle

Hi Everyone,

I've been changing over the old, 1960's sockets, throughout my house one by one to a modern grounded socket. No surprises, all 3 wire, until recently that is! Looking at the most recent socket, I noticed 3 separate cables (9 wires, of course) running into one socket. Without pig-tails, 2 of the 4 screws contained 2 wires under each.

I haven't investigated yet, but I'm assuming one wire comes from the source, and two others feed nearby receptacles.

As I convert this over, I believe the correct thing to do here is:
Pigtail 2 hot (and neutral) sources together, adding an additional wire out of the marette(s) so only one wire is going to the appropriate screw. The third source coming into/out of the box can be connected normally to the remaining two screws on the socket.

Hope this makes sense? Please correct me if I'm wrong!! Are there any additional thoughts or concerns on having one socket feed out two sources? Looks like this was done many, many years ago, likely when the house was first build in the 60's.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-15, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Put all the wires in the pigtail and just the pigtails to the receptacle. The grounds should also be pigtailed to the box if metal.
changing over the old, 1960's sockets... No surprises, all 3 wire
Odd to have grounds if 1960 wiring.

Terminology: They are receptacles not sockets.

Old 01-15-15, 11:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pigtail 2 hot (and neutral) sources together, adding an additional wire out of the marette(s) so only one wire is going to the appropriate screw. The third source coming into/out of the box can be connected normally to the remaining two screws on the socket.
Or better yet, just pigtail all 3 hot and neutrals using red wire nut and connect pigtails to one terminal each. You can't go wrong with this.

Edit: Ray and I are saying the same thing. And yes, it's a little lucky to have grounds around that era.

Old 01-15-15, 11:31 AM
Thanks Ray2047.

Put all the wires in the pigtail and just the pigtails to the receptacle. The grounds should also be pigtailed to the box if metal.
That's what I was thinking too. It is currently a metal box, however, I'm not sure everything will fit nicely with the new pigtails - may have to change over the box too. Out of curiosity, why would you suggest running a gound to the box too? As long as all 3 cables are grounded to the receptacle, this will not be necessary?

Odd to have grounds if 1960 wiring.
I was pleasantly surprised at this too :-)

Terminology: They are receptacles not sockets.
Good tip, thanks for the correction.

Old 01-15-15, 11:35 AM
Or better yet, just pigtail all 3 hot and neutrals using red wire nut and connect pigtails to one terminal each. You can't go wrong with this.
Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I'll do indeed. No concerns with running two receptacles out? I don't assume there SHOULD be a concern, just since it's out of the ordinary (or my limited ordinary, anyway), want to double check....

Old 01-15-15, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The metal box is required to be bonded to the grounds.

Old 01-15-15, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
The box fill should be okay but if you want to check box fill: Electrical Box Fill Calculations - Construction Monkey

Old 01-15-15, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In some boxes that are really tight or that have short wires, the Wago push-in connectors can be really helpful in place of wirenuts.