120v to 240v Twist lock (Generator help)

Old 01-18-15, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
120v to 240v Twist lock (Generator help)

Hey Guys,

I have a question about generators. I have a reliance 12 circuit manual transfer switch installed in my house. I also have a Champion 7250 - 9000w generator. I also have a smaller 2000w Honda EU generator.

What I am wondering is. Is there a way I can attach the smaller 2000w generator to my transfer switch? The smaller Honda generator doesn't have the 240v Twist lock. It has 2 x 120 15 amp out. Is there a way I can combine them to plug it into the 240v twist lock on my transfer switch?

I would like to be able to run the smaller generator at night as the 9000w one is way to loud to leave running. If i could use the smaller 2000w generator and just have my bedroom lights and furnace going when I went to bed that would be ideal.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 12:05 AM
What do you plan on running off the Honda EU generator? The output is 120V only, and the maximum you can run is 1600W continuously.

Old 01-19-15, 07:23 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Does the small Honda have accessible "lug terminals" to connect to other equipment without using the 15 amp receptacles?

If so you can make up a 10-2 cable with the hot connected to both hot slots of a twist lock receptacle (and neutral connected to the neutral slot of the receptacle).

You could also make up the 10-2 cable to plug into the generator receptacles but the cable may have only one (male) plug and will then be limited to 15 amps from that one generator receptacle.

You may not have two 120 volt 15 amp plugs connected to the same 120/240 volt twist lock receptacle even when connected to the two hot slots of the receptacle separately and respectively.

Old 01-19-15, 09:01 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I would like to be able to run the smaller generator at night as the 9000w one is way to loud to leave running. If i could use the smaller 2000w generator and just have my bedroom lights and furnace going when I went to bed that would be ideal.
I don't see it as practical to be able to interchange a 9 KW 120/240 volt generator and a 2 KW 120 volt only generator. I would just buy a quieter standby system with automatic transfer switch and be done with it

Old 01-19-15, 12:06 PM
I don't see it as practical to be able to interchange a 9 KW 120/240 volt generator and a 2 KW 120 volt only generator.
It's VERY practical. Think how little fuel he'll use compared to running the bigger generator.

I do the same thing OP. I have an adapter cable made up that I can plug into my 800 watt HF generator.

Connect the neutral and ground to their respective terminals. For the hot just connect the single hot wire to both the L1 and L2 terminals in the receptacle. I don't have any MWBC's to deal with. Odds are, at 2000 watts, you won't have any problems either.

Old 01-19-15, 08:46 PM
Hey. thanks for the replies. Yeah I would like to just run the circuit with with lights and maybe tv in my bedroom as well as my furnace fan. The are both of different "sides" of the manual transfer switch. They are the first 2 breakers.

The reason I want to use the smaller one is that the 9000w is to loud to leave running over night outside. I live in a row of townhouses. And also its much quieter and runs for much longer on less gas. I don't need to be powering all the circuits in my house that I'm not using when I am sleeping.

As for the outputs on the Honda Generator there is just 2 x 120v 13.3 amp and a 12v out.

here is the link.
Honda EU2000i Model Info | Super Quiet 2000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

realistically I could just plug my furnace right into the smaller generator. but It would be nice to have the lights in my room work so I can use the washroom and shower.

Old 01-20-15, 01:30 AM
I have a cord made up to do this very purpose. It has a 5-15 plug, length of SJO cord, and a L14-30R twist lock with both hot legs jumpered.

Old 01-20-15, 01:41 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Several people have made the same suggestion to make up a special cord or to install a special receptacle on the generator to allow powering both legs of the 240/120 panel with the single 120 source. I took the route of installing the four-prong receptacle on my generator that allows the interconnect cable and everything downstream to be standardized to a 240/120 generator.

My real concern is that this is a really small generator and it would be really easy to overload it if you didn't trip (turn off) all the other circuit breakers when making this changeover. IF the refrigerator and the furnace were to both start at the same time (and when you were asleep) it is possible it would trip the generator's circuit breaker leaving you in the dark and cold. I would rather see a second transfer panel to allow the smaller generator to serve ONLY the furnace and the bedroom lights. Several different ways to accomplish this.

Old 01-20-15, 07:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I don't see a problem making a cable from 120V to 240V and jumpering the two hots together as long as you're comfortable managing the load manually. You wouldn't be able to run any 240V loads, but it doesn't sounds like you need to. The breakers on the generator would protect anything from being damaged should an overload occur. It wouldn't surprise me if you could use the small Honda for the entire outage day and night. You don't really need all that much power to get by.

Old 01-20-15, 09:29 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I don't see a problem making a cable from 120V to 240V and jumpering the two hots together as long as you're comfortable managing the load manually.

You don't really need all that much power to get by.
I see this as much more practical then switching back and forth between two generators provided the OP is familiar enough with his electrical system to know he isn't using any multiwre branch circuits.