extending electric run from garage to attic

Old 01-18-15, 10:15 PM
extending electric run from garage to attic

Hi All;

I'm thinking of adding an electic outlet to my attic and wanted to double check with you guys it would work without issues.

I'm thinking of extending the electric outlet that my garage door uses (circled in the picture below). Above my garage is a spare bedroom, so the beams go west to east (the beam is a blue line in the picture). So it would be very simple to run an electric cable 4 or 5 feet. All i would have to do is drill a hole in the "A" type of joist, that seperates the bedroom with my attic. Then i want the electric cable going to a new junction box in my attic. Im then going to plug in an LED shop light, and leave the other outlet empty. In the future I might install a security camera so i could use that.

I've extended an electric outlet before without issue. Does this sound like a good plan? And lastly, should i use a GFCI outlet in the attic, or does it matter? It should never get wet in there, and i already have a dozen electric cables in there anyway since the main electric panel is off the garage

Thanks

Name:  garage.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  29.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-15, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
If you have trusses, do not drill any holes through the members. Otherwise it sounds doable.