Need some Help and Advice!

Old 01-19-15, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some Help and Advice!

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and new to electrical. I'm trying to help my father out with an electrical problem in his BATHROOM because he can't afford an electrician.

There are 4 switches and 1 GFCI outlet. I believe all of the switches to be just SPST switches given there are only two wires hooked up to each switch and each switch only controls one thing.

Only 1 switch in the bathroom is working and that controls the vanity light, the fan/light combo on the ceiling is not working and did work fine for a long time b4. I tried replacing all of the switches and the GFCI Outlet and still nothing at all. I'm guessing maybe a short in the wiring somewhere.

The switch that is working has 2 black wires connected to the switch terminals and a ground with the 2 neutrals tied together with a wire nut. Could the bottom black wire be switched with 1 of the neutrals to provide an extra set of working wires?? Seems logical to me given that normally you have a black and a white wire hooked up to a switch and not two black wires. Please advise and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-15, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You probably don't have a "short", but an "open". Switches only break the hot wires, so the neutrals are tucked away just fine. Do you own a multimeter? If not, you should get one from box stores. An analog meter will cost about $10 or so. That way you can tell if each switch is getting power, and if that power is being transferred to the fan/light combo. Fill us in on all the wiring at each switch. It would really help if you could remove power, pull the switches and the receptacle from the box and take a picture or two and post it here so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-19-15, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
A splice may have opened when the switches were replaced. After you get a meter you are going to need to see where the power is lost. Was there a bunch of blacks all spliced with a pigtail to each switch?