Hardwire ceiling fan that is currently using lamp cord

Old 01-22-15, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwire ceiling fan that is currently using lamp cord

Hello all;

My house has 2 spare rooms, that each has a switch that controls part of an electric outlet on the opposite wall. The previous homeowner nailed ceiling fans to the center of the rooms, and used a lamp cord that plugs into the switched outlet to power them.

I would rather the ceiling fan be hard wired, and it seems to me the electric cable that powers the outlet would run on the ceiling right next to the ceiling fan (see picture below).

I have looked at the receptacle, it has power coming from a wire from the attic, and there's a 4 wire cable (black, white, ground, red) coming from the ceiling which must be going to the switch.

What I want to do is cut a hole to the left of the ceiling fan, and hopefully the electric cable will be there, then wire it to the ceiling fan. My question is: would this work? How would i wire it with the red wire? Would it have power from the switch???

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  22.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 01:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it seems to me the electric cable that powers the outlet would run on the ceiling right next to the ceiling fan
Even if you were lucky enough to find it is is unlikely it would have the 12"-16" slack you would need.
there's a 4 wire cable (black, white, ground, red) coming from the ceiling which must be going to the switch.
Actually that's a 3-conductor cable. Do you want to continue to have a switched receptacle? Is there an unfinished attic above? Normally you would run a new 3-conductor cable from the switch box or receptacle box.

Old 01-23-15, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally i was going to yank the electric cable out of the outlet and use that. But now i think ill just run new wire, and leave that alone.

Old 01-23-15, 02:17 PM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
That would definitely be the best bet,I doubt you would have an luck pulling the existing cable out, also if you plan on using the existing switch box you will run into a capacity problem with to many conductors in the box.
Geo