AFCI Question

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-23-15, 08:12 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 16
AFCI Question

My dog, a rescue Border Collie, has seemed interested in some lamp cords recently. She hasn't chewed them, but I'm concerned she might decide to go a little further than sniffing at some point. I was curious, if I replaced the receptacles with AFCI ones, would it work quickly enough to prevent her from killing herself if she bit into one of the lamp cords? If not, then I'l probably wire switches into the receptacles so I can turn them off when I'm not around. Thanks, from me and Katy.

Name:  WP_20130827_002-sm.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  47.7 KB
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-23-15, 08:52 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 46,053
Cool dog

Would it trip fast enough..... maybe. Would I trust it.... no way.
 
  #3  
Old 01-23-15, 08:59 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,275
I agree. AFCI breakers trip on only certain types of arcs. Who knows if her chewing cords will cause it to trip.

Personally I doubt she will kill herself. At worst she will get a burn on her mouth from the short circuit, at best she will get a shock. I would suggest getting her some chew toys to keep her interested. If you see her messing with the toys, redirect her to the chew toys.
 
  #4  
Old 01-23-15, 11:35 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 16
Good advice PJ and Tolyn, and Katy says thanks for the compliment. That's one of the interesting things about her prior abuse, She's afraid of just about everything, and doesn't know what to do with chew toys or those leather chew treats. I don't think I'll have a problem in redirecting her if I'm around. I'd just hate to see her get a bad shock. She's made a lot of progress in overcoming her fear and I wouldn't want her to backslide as it were. It took her two years just to begin barking. I may just go ahead and install switches for those two receptacles as they are in the two main places she likes to stay in the living room. Thanks again.
 
  #5  
Old 01-24-15, 04:10 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
Rather than going to all the trouble of installing switches and wiring them to the receptacles, you could just unplug the items you fear she will chew on. I would think a GFCI rather than an AFCI would provide more protection, and would not be subject to nuisance trips.

I used to raise Shetland Sheep dogs, and on our farm I had cattle contained by a New Zealand electric fence system. 6000 volts on pulse. One of my dogs went under the fence and felt the slight tingle of the charge through her fur, stepped back and bit the bottom wire. Only once, though. Learning curve. Wifey made me de-energize the bottom line
 
  #6  
Old 01-24-15, 05:51 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 377
I agree, a GFCI would provide for better safety but still doubtful if chewing on it would do much more harm than a quick little "bite back".

When my dog was a puppy she did as all puppies do; chewed on everything. One night sitting in the living room watching TV she learned her lesson once and for all. Suddenly she jumped and let out a screach and yelp followed by leaping off the carpet about 8 inches. She had bitten into the window A/C cord. She survived and she never chewed anything else other than things I handed her and let her sniff and said was ok for her to chew like a new chew toy. Kind of like an accidental shock therapy.
 
  #7  
Old 01-24-15, 05:55 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,275
A GFCI will only work if there is a path to ground, like if she is standing on a concrete floor. If it is wood or carpet floor it would do no good. I think the biggest danger is her creating a short between the two wires and getting burned.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Progra...xp_grid_pt_2_0 would be an easy fix. I have seen similar is Menard's stores too for less money.

I have been shocked many times and I have learned to not do that. Learning curve.
 
  #8  
Old 01-24-15, 06:14 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,941
I think the bigger danger is that she chews through the cord and the damage starts a fire in the house.

Those remote outlets are a good idea. You may also want to consider getting the cords up off the floor, tying them up as much as you can, and perhaps putting that plastic wire loom on them for further protection. That way you won't have to worry if you forget to turn the lamps off.
 
  #9  
Old 01-24-15, 06:17 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,275
Great thoughts Drooplug! Didn't even consider the fire aspect.
 
  #10  
Old 01-24-15, 04:58 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 16
To make it simple and somewhat convenient I picked up a couple of these:

Name:  Leviton Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  23.5 KB

I figure I can use them when I go around and turn off lights in the evening and when I leave. That will avoid most of the time she would have the opportunity to do anything. I only have one lamp plugged into each, so no big loss on the one outlet.

The diagram is from the Leviton packaging and just shows wiring for the switch controlling everything, including what is further on along the run. Both outlets are in the middle of a run, so if I just want it to control the outlet, would I just pigtail to the locations I've marked on the diagram (H,N,G)? BTW, thanks for the replies. It's been educational, as is most of the reading I do on this site.
 
  #11  
Old 01-24-15, 05:03 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 46,053
Do you want the switch to control just the receptacle in the combo ?
If yes.... use the diagram below.

Name:  Leviton Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  14.0 KB
 
  #12  
Old 01-24-15, 05:44 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 16
Thanks Pete! Yeah, I just want the receptacle controlled by the switch. So, I would just pigtail to those locations, and leave the bridge in place on the right side?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes