Running 12vdc pump on 120vac.

Old 01-24-15, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running 12vdc pump on 120vac.

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Shurflo Diaphragm Pump that is 12VDC, 5 Amp Max, 15 Amp slow blow fuse recommended that I need to plug into a wall outlet, I have 15 and 30 amp circuit breakers, and with 2 or 3 prong outlets. There isnt a plug of any sort now on the pump, just two exposed wires, one red, one black. What would be the easiest way to convert to AC power without breaking the bank or blowing up the pump? Thanks in advance for all answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 06:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You would need a 12 volt DC power supply rated for more then 5 amps.

Examples: http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-.../dp/B00B8TRF0A

Old 01-24-15, 07:08 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, Ray! So, for the example you showed me, how would i connect the bare wire? cut off the male end piece, and find a red and a black to connect to?

Old 01-24-15, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Poor mans hookup - shove red wire inside barrel of connector (positive) and wrap black wire around outside of barrel (negative). Obviously exposing the wire making the connection.
For a more professional job, I would use a 5mm jack in a small metal box for the pump end.

Old 01-24-15, 07:28 PM
if i did end up cutting off the end, though, would i find the red and black wires? I have the tube clamps and the clamper, and I would be satisfied with that result. Or is the inner/outer connector required for the conversion?

Old 01-24-15, 07:48 PM
Just wire to wire but best to use a multimeter to confirm polarity. Colors can vary. I posted 10 amp supplies because you want a safety margin. Use a inline fuse holder and a 10 amp slow blow fuse. If that fuse blows then you may need a larger power supply. You might want to use a 15 amp power supply but that ups your cost. I have no experience with your pumps so this is pure guesstimate.

Old 02-03-15, 05:01 PM
Thank you for all the help, Ray. I have purchased the adapter you suggested above, and cut the end off. What I found I wasn't expecting and I am not sure how to proceed. The wires on the adapter are one red, and one white. I've asked a few different amateurs, and have gotten mixed replies back. I read:

Wiring Color Codes : Color Codes - Electronics Textbook

and it says red can be either or, but white is always neutral, and the black wire is negative, red is positive on the pump. What do I connect to what?

Old 02-03-15, 06:54 PM
There is no for certain color code. Set an analog multimeter to DC volts put the positive probe on one wire and negative probe on the other. If the meter needle tries to go backwards the wire you have the positive probe on is negative. If the needle moves correctly the wires polarity matches the probes polarity.

On my digital meter common is negative and if you reverse the polarity you will get a dash in front of the read out but not familiar enough with digital meters to say if it is the same for all digital meters. Use a battery to test if you are not sure.

Old 02-03-15, 08:14 PM
How would I check it with a battery?

Old 02-03-15, 08:28 PM
And if I made a mistake, would it hurt the pump? Or would it just not work until it was wired right?

Old 02-03-15, 08:37 PM
I meant you would test the multimeter with a battery such as a D cell to see how your multimeter reacts to correct and reverse voltage.

Probably wouldn't hurt to test the pump in water just for a few seconds to see if it pumps.