Compressor + 14-30r + Confusion = new thread

Old 01-25-15, 10:50 PM
Unhappy Compressor + 14-30r + Confusion = new thread

Hey Guys/Gals,

My names Joel. I'm in need of help from the pros. I would like to safely cut costs and get my garage wired up for 240v properly. I live in Fontana, CA 92336. I recently bought a craftsman 6hp 60Gal. compressor and it has a 14-30r plug ( found that info. after some searching ).

Basically where I need help and professional knowledge would be in the following areas, and I'll provide pics of my current situation. ANY ALL HELP AND SUGGESTIONS WIL BE APPRECIATED.

TIA,
Joel

#1 My craftsman 60gal has 14-30r connector is this safe? should I replace w/ a nema 6-20?

#2 best receptacle for home heavy duty use?

#3 Whats's the best gauge wiring to use for garage use?

#4 how to ID what amp/circuit breakers I need?

My compressor will be in the front corner just on the other side of the fuse panel

"logical" possible entry area since there are existing holes from cable

Fuse Panel

compressor specs, bought used. No instruction manual; I'm sure I could source one via the web if needed.

current connection is this standard? why would they do such a thing? appears oem at the switch box.

switch box connection

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 05:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you mean generator & not compressor?

Old 01-26-15, 06:38 AM
I might consider using L6-30 R & L 6-30 P, 10/3 SJO cable ,with a basket type strain relief connector on the compressor,30 amp 2 pole Sq D Home series circuit breaker.looks like you will need to pipe from the outside bottom of the panel inside 1/2"PVC ,LB into the garage.
If you can find a manual will should give you the exact spec's wire size and breaker size.
By the way you have circuit breaker panel not a fuse box.
Geo

Old 01-26-15, 06:43 AM
Geo,

Thanks you! Facts noted, and I will work on finding the correct manual for my compressor.

Old 01-26-15, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also the compressor should be grounded. It does not look used in the picture.

Old 01-26-15, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The breaker should probably be a double-pole 20A, but you could use a 25A or 30A. If you run conduit, the three wires should be #10 THHN black, black green or black, red, green (either is ok). If you can get into the back of the main panel and run a Romex cable through the inside wall, use #10-2 NM-B cable and color the white wire black or red with a sharpie marker or electrical tape.

The receptacle and plug should probably be a 6-30; you can use the twist lock type if you prefer but it is not required. The one currently on there is a 10-30 (old style cloths dryer receptacle), which really isn't the right one to have on there. Previous owner probably plugged it into the dryer outlet to avoid running new wiring.

Old 01-31-15, 12:49 PM
Off to Home Depot today! Thanks gents!