How serious is this repair

Old 01-27-15, 11:38 AM
How serious is this repair

found on home inspection. what would retail be to have someone come in and fix this?

a handy man likely will be called into install a new light in a bathroom eventually so wondering if it's easy enough for him to do?

More than one wire is connected to a single fuse or breaker terminal. Most terminals are not designed to
accommodate more than one wire. This may result in a poor connection. You should have a qualified
electrician install a separate fuse or breaker for each wire, or connect the wires together and run a single wire
to the terminal.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-15, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any room in the panel for another breaker?

Old 01-27-15, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
That looks like an older Square D panel.

Last edited by PJmax; 01-27-15 at 03:40 PM. Reason: removed incorrect info
Old 01-27-15, 11:59 AM
That particular circuit breaker DOES allow for two wires to be connected. The overspray however is not good.

Old 01-27-15, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like Furd said, that breaker is listed for two conductors. The HI raised a non-issue.

Old 01-27-15, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
a handy man likely will be called into install a new light in a bathroom eventually so wondering if it's easy enough for him to do?
Beware of hiring a handyman to do electrical work instead of a licensed electrician. There can be a huge difference in quality and safety of the resultant job. Yes an electrician will probably be more expensive, but you get expertise and the electrician is held accountable to the licensing board and to his bond and insurance to do the job safely. A handyman might do a good job, but you're taking the risk not him.

Old 01-27-15, 06:32 PM
Is it 2 wires or 3 wires terminated on that breaker? It looks like 2 to me, but I see a third wire, just not sure where it goes.

Assuming it is only 2 wires terminated at the breaker........

Like Furd said, that breaker is listed for two conductors. The HI raised a non-issue.
The two wires must be the same size, but they appear to be. PCboss and Furd are both right.

More than one wire is connected to a single fuse or breaker terminal. Most terminals are not designed to
accommodate more than one wire. This may result in a poor connection. You should have a qualified
electrician install a separate fuse or breaker for each wire, or connect the wires together and run a single wire
to the terminal.
This is just standard boilerplate language from an inspector, copied from his inspection program or book, who knows nothing about electrical work or codes. If he knew anything about distribution equipment he would never have brought this up as an issue. It's hard to believe that people like this actually charge for what they do.

Old 01-27-15, 06:58 PM
I would not paint all home inspectors the same. I am one and have been for 12 years. I know Cutler hammer and square d make breakers that 2 circuits can be serviced. First it must have a place for 2 wires to connect and it also must say on the breaker that two circuits can be serviced. I was a licensed contractor before becoming an inspector and regularly attend code compliance classes to stay current. There are some bad ones and good ones like any other business

Old 01-28-15, 05:05 AM
I would not paint all home inspectors the same.
My intention was not to paint all home inspectors with a broad brush as all being bad and I apologize to any who took it that way. I know several good ones too. That being said, there are also some who really don't have a clue about electrical work and obviously won't ask or get the proper training.

Old 01-28-15, 05:52 AM
I agree with that. I know a couple like that. I have never been to court and they have. I take my work seriously and If I cannot do it with integrity I will retire. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-28-15, 06:21 AM
will a licensed electrician do all the work to install a new ceiling fan. i never did any of this so i'm learning. i've hung a fan myself in existing box but this is in a newer house with no ceiling provisions at all. so they need to find the juice and rip out drywall and install all new stuff for the fan. i just didnt know if you needed different people for all the 'jobs' or if the electrician will do it all , my mom wont mind at all. i just am responsible for making sure her 'new' house is ok and who to hire and stuff falls on me

Old 01-28-15, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Normally you don't need to, "rip out drywall". Cables are run by fishing. Power often comes from a switch controlled receptacle or the switch that controls it. It is definitely a DIY job in most cases.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-28-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 06:37 PM
will a licensed electrician do all the work to install a new ceiling fan
Some will if they need the work. Installing a ceiling fan is not the most desireable work and many will just say no.

There are kits available for installing ceiling fan rated boxes without cutting a hole in the ceiling any bigger than the box itself. The box stores have them.

Old 01-29-15, 08:36 AM
my problem is i cannot fish where she would need the electrical work done and im goa love to see how he does it
if he just puts up a secure box i can install the fan. if i have a high enough ladder lol