Ceiling fan wiring questions

Old 01-26-15, 04:19 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ceiling fan wiring questions

I have a ceiling fan which uses a remote.

I don't really care for the remote and would prefer to just use a normal wall switch for the fan and the light.

Can I remove the receiver inside the fan, and run an additional conductor from the wall switch to the ceiling box, then connect light, fan, neutral?

As for the wall switch I plan to use two separate switches one for the light and one for the fan.

Are the fan speed control switches all the same? Will a Leviton fan speed control switch work with most brands or will this be a hit and miss?

Old 01-26-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You need to look at the remote unit. Many of the fans with a built in receiver also have the capacitors for speed control in them.

In order for you to be able to remove the receiver and hardwire the fan it needs a white and black wire in and a white, black and blue wire out. If it has more than those five wires you probably can't remove it.

Most wall fan switches can be interchanged.

Old 01-27-15, 07:27 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The ceiling fan is Hampton Bay Midili and the manual is here:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...2a239fe6d7.pdf

The wiring instructions are in pages 7,8. However it does not say one can wire it with OR without the receiver.

The receiver is not something integrated into the fan, it's a box just pushed into the bracket.

Two conductors in (HOT, NEUTRAL), three conductors out (FAN, LIGHT, NEUTRAL). Seems it should work, right?

Old 01-27-15, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Very good. You'll run a piece of three wire to the fan. White is neutral, black is fan and red will go to blue for light.

Save that receiver for installation at a later date or in another fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: