GFCI Install Question

Old 01-28-15, 08:05 AM
GFCI Install Question

I have a question about a GFCI outlet install. I rent a house that was built in the 70's so I can not re do any of the wiring even know I would love to. Here is my question.

The back hallway bathroom and bedroom are all on the same breaker. I know this because some times the hair dyer trips the breaker and the whole back half of the house is dead. There is a GFCI outlet in the bathroom. I have had the GFCI trip a few times and it does not kill any of the power to the other rooms. Just the GFCI goes dead.

I have recently installed a fish tank in the back room and would like to put a gfci outlet on that tank just in case. It does not pull that much power 2 or 3 amps at full blast. Id rather be safe then sorry.

My question is I always thought that there could only be 1 GFCI per circuit. Can I just install the GFCI next to the tank and not have to worry about the one in the bathroom since it only seems to control it self?

I tried to explain it as best as I could sorry if its as clear as mud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-15, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you can have 2 GFCI receptacles on a single circuit. The GFCI receptacle can be installed to either only protect itself or to protect itself and all of the downstream receptacles. To protect only that receptacle you only use the LINE terminals on the GFCI. To protect downstream receptacles you use the LINE and the LOAD terminals.

Old 01-28-15, 08:31 AM
Thank you for clearing that up