Cold water bond locations ?

Old 01-28-15, 11:39 AM
Cold water bond locations ?

Just had the house repiped due to an under the slab leak. Unfortunately it failed the final inspection because of the lack of cold water bond. The repiping company is refusing to do the work since it's electrical and not plumbing related. It doesn't look like a complex job, but I'm not too clear on where the pipes need to be bonded. The obvious place is where the hot/cold water enter/exit the water heater, I was going to bridge the cold water in with the bonding point for the hot water outlet. Are there additional points needed? It's a copper repipe in Los Angeles, CA if that matters. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-15, 02:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Cold Water Bonding and why you need it. - San Antonio Home Living Tips | Examiner.com

Suppose the ground was relocated to a separate grounding rod? Would that satisfy the inspector?

Old 01-28-15, 03:54 PM
I will call the city inspector tomorrow who is only available 1 hr a day . Hope I can use a separate grounding since the water inlet is at the other end of a 2 story house from the main panel.

Old 01-28-15, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Post moved to electrical because it is an electrical question.

Old 01-28-15, 04:17 PM
I will have to speak with the inspector tomorrow, but I wonder if I just need to bond the iron pipe coming out of the ground from the main to the cooper portion going into the house that was replaced, across the new shutoff that is installed.

The house was repipe with copper not PEX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7uO6Rb3pgI

00:03 of that video, across the shutoff.

Last edited by flyingmachine; 01-28-15 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarifying repipe material
Old 01-28-15, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Are you talking about bonding to the water service and bonding the water meter ?

Name:  bonding.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  27.7 KB

Old 01-28-15, 05:54 PM
Is the section of the video I listed specific to a water meter installation?
To be honest I'm not sure, I wasn't around when the inspector came by. My neighbors who was there when the inspector arrived just mentioned he looked at where the water is coming into the house. I will ask the inspector tomorrow to get clarification. If a bond to the main panel is needed, I just wish he would have brought that up in the inspection prior to all the drywalls patching and texturing were done.

Old 01-28-15, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to clarify if the inspector was talking about bonding or extending the GEC to within 5' of where the water enters the house. Two different items.

Old 01-28-15, 09:49 PM
will do, not sure what options I have as the water enters the house in the living room wall next to the front door. Not many options for within 5' unless I have an access panel in the wall.

Old 01-29-15, 11:27 AM
You need both of (or all of):

Bridge the water meter and the water heater as shown in the picture somewhat above.

Run the grounding electrode conductor (typically #4 copper; I don't have the size versus electrical service amperage table in front of me) from the electrical panel with the first whole house disconnecting breaker or switch over to the water pipe as discussed above.

Did you say that the water pipe exits the house above ground and then goes underground? How about attaching the grounding electrode conductor outside where the pipe is exposed. You would then only have to drill a small hole through the wall for the wire. Buy enough copper wire for the GEC so you could choose the outside location or choose where the exposed pipe first enters the drywall from the inside room if these locations will work.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-29-15 at 12:07 PM.