Mounting light switch "in" a stud

Old 02-01-15, 04:44 PM
Mounting light switch "in" a stud

Hello All - Getting my kitchen remodeled and had a rectangular light switch box installed to the left of a 4x4 wall post. Turns out the wall wasn't wide enough for the new cabinets so contractor added four more 2x4's to widen it.

Now instead of being 6" to the left of the wall edge, my light box is is too far at 14". I want them to move it closer to the edge but my Contractor claims it can't be moved because everything to the right of it is solid wood (the 4x4 and 4-2x4's).

Seems to me they should be able to cut a hole in the solid wood with a router and drill a hole through the wood to run the electrical from the old spot, then patch up the old one. Only talking about a 6" to 8" move or so.

Are they correct that it can't be done or is it just inconvenient and they don't want to?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-15, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will be difficult to do to cut the box hole and route the wire. It may not be possible depending on the framing that was there. It would also require new cable runs since they may be too short.

Why do you say that 14" is too far? There is no code specific distance.

Old 02-01-15, 05:55 PM
Hey pcboss - ya, not too far for code. Just too far for personal preference / convenience. At this point there is no add'l framing to the right of the light switch.

There was a 4x4 wall post that was the 'end' of the wall so to speak. And when it was determined that the wall needed to be extended, rather than frame a new section they simply stacked four 2 x 4's from floor to ceiling, nailed them together, then drywalled over them.

Old 02-01-15, 06:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't want the box hole in the studs holding up the header that supports whatever is above.

Old 02-01-15, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Could you live with a surface mounted box?

Old 02-01-15, 06:29 PM
Ya, i think that's what the contractor is ultimately saying. My point has been this. Initially it was a 4x4 post holding up the ceiling. Then, when the four 2x4's were put up I thought the load was effectively transferred to this roughly 8" of new support width. That was why I was thinking at the very least they could notch the new 4x4 to push the light over further to the right / wall edge. At the end of the day, I'll likely leave it as-is and live with it.

Old 02-01-15, 06:32 PM
Hey ray - i'd rather have it set in the wall. Was just making sure my contractor wasn't feeding me a line. Sounds like I'll leave it as-is and focus on having fun with my new appliances haha.