Power dead to bathroom!

Old 02-01-15, 11:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power dead to bathroom!

The outlets, fan, and lights in the bathroom (and one outlet in an adjacent room) no longer work. They were working perfectly fine the day before but the next morning when I turned on the lights they flickered and then went dead along with everything else in the bathroom. Nothing is tripped in the breaker box. Although I did attempt to turn the breaker that controls that bathroom off then back on.

After the failure, I attempted to also test the GFCI outlet located in the bathroom. I believe the test tripped the GFCI button (although I can't recall whether it was already tripped prior to the test), it now can no longer be rest. The fault light on the GFCI remains ON when BOTH the lights and fan switch are turned to the OFF position; however when EITHER the light or fan switch are turned to the ON position the fault light turns off. In neither of the above scenarios are you able to rest the GFCI.

I attempted to replace the GFCI thinking it might be faulty. The replacement has the same issue as the old device and the outlet, fan and light still do not work. The GFCI, to my knowledge, is unloaded.

At one point, well prior to changing the GFCI outlet, the power to the lights (unsure about outlets) did come back on briefly for maybe a couple of minutes but flickered and failed once again. To my knowledge power has only returned once for that brief period. I did nothing to trigger the powers return. All other lights, outlets appliances in the house are working normally.

Any thoughts??

Old 02-01-15, 11:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to determine everything that is on that circuit. The problem is usually between the last item on that circuit that is working and the first device that is not working.

Since you have an indication of power at your GFI receptacle.... it would appear that you lost the neutral.

Old 02-02-15, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It sounds like a loose connection has opened. Now it is just an easter egg hunt to find it. There is a troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum.

Old 02-02-15, 08:59 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
when I turned on the lights they flickered and then went dead along with everything else in the bathroom.
The flicker immediately made me thing you had a loose connection. I also believe the problem is a neutral connection........somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: