Locating power source for 3 way switch

Old 02-04-15, 12:02 PM
Locating power source for 3 way switch

How do I determine where the power source is coming from that controls my ceiling light. With the switch connected I have power to the light when I disconnect the switch I don't have power at the light and I don't have power to the wires going into the switch. I am attempting to to change this over to a three way switch to control the ceiling light I ran two sets of three wire cable and hooked things up according to directions but everytime I put the circuit breaker on it blows I'm thinking that my power source is not at my single pole switch but maybe in the ceiling at the light and maybe this is why the breaker keeps blowing I must be hooking things up wrong

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-15, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
First, a little more punctuation would go a long way toward making your question easier to read.

Second, can you tell us what wires you have at the wall switch and at the fixture box in the ceiling?

Old 02-04-15, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
How do I determine where the power source is coming from that controls my ceiling light.
Power source does not control your ceiling light. To expand on Mitch's request how many 2-conductor cables (black, white) and how many 3-conductor cables (red, black, white). How are they connected. (Ignore grounds. They aren't relevant.)

Old 02-04-15, 02:24 PM
Sorry about the punctuation I'm using my phone. Anyway I have solved the problem the wiring was screwed up but I found the problem

Old 02-04-15, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.