Convert switched outlet to constant power

Old 02-07-15, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert switched outlet to constant power

I am re-doing a bedroom in my house and currently the light switch in the room switches on/off a receptacle in the room. I would like to make the receptacle in the room constant power and I am also added a ceiling light that I would like the light switch to control (not the receptacle)

I currently have the power line (12/2) at the receptacle. I have another 12/2 going to the light switch. So at the receptacle I have 2 12/2 electrical cables and and the light switch I just have the one.

What is the best way to wire up the receptacle so it has constant power and then tap off the light switch to go to a ceiling light that I will be installing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 08:10 AM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Connect the power line directly to the receptacle unit. The second (continuing) cable entering the receptacle's box should be the cable going to the light switch box. Connect that to the receptacle also.

You will need a second cable in the light switch box to extend up to the light fixture.

If two wire ends want to go under one screw, cut a short length (pigtail) of the same color and size and connect this to the screw. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the two other wires in question.

We suggest that you do not use the push-in holes at the back of a receptacle unit or switch unit unless a screw or set screw is needed to hold the wires in the holes.

Old 02-07-15, 08:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
  • If the tab is broken on the brass side of the receptacle replace the receptacle.
  • At the receptacle connect the blacks to the brass screws.
  • At the receptacle connect the whites to the silver screws.
  • At the switch connect the whites to each other.
  • At the the switch connect one black to each side of the switch.
  • Connect grounds per code.

Old 02-07-15, 08:24 AM
This is the easiest way to add ceiling lights to a room. After you alter the wiring at receptacle, most of your wiring is already ran.
As Ray and Allen said, all you need is a cable from switch into ceiling.
It doesn't get much better than this.

Old 02-07-15, 09:42 AM
I forgot to mention that I was going to make the receptacle a double receptacle. How would I go about wiring the 2nd receptacle.

Old 02-07-15, 10:06 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How would I go about wiring the 2nd receptacle.
Best practice pigtail. At the receptacle connect all blacks to two pigtails. Connect all whites to two pigtails. Connect the pigtails to the receptacles.