Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can a resident (other than official homeowner) work on electrical?

Old 02-07-15, 11:58 AM

I rewired my entire house, after the old wiring was confirmed as a fire hazard.

We're moving back into my father's house, and remodeling the basement, which requires totally rewiring the basement electrical.

Question 1 - Can I as a resident work on the electrical? Or is the exemption only for the official homeowner?

Question 2 - Can you tell me the NEC section that specifies this exemption? Or, is this rule in state law or even local inspector's preference?

Question 3 - If it turns out I can't actually work on the electrical, but the inspector is happy letting me do it, should I just go with that? (Thinking of homeowners insurance in a disaster scenario saying the permit wasn't properly pulld.)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is not an electrical code issue. Check with your local building officials. Rules vary by jurisdiction.

Old 02-07-15, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would definitely get a permit, that way you're covered as far as insurance.

Generally speaking, you are applying for an Owner/Builder Permit. The owner will apply for permit and perform work (with your help). It will be inspected and must pass inspection.

Be prepared for some expense. You just want to rewire basement, but the inspector may require a new panel or any other number of things to do that.

Old 02-07-15, 12:53 PM
All codes are local. The model codes, such as the NEC, are merely recommendations until they are enacted into law by a legislative body. That legislative body may be the state legislature, the county council or commissioners or a city council or even all of the above. The enabling legislation that makes the code law has the ability to add to or delete from the model code. ONLY THE LOCAL CODE HAS ANY BEARING ON WHAT YOU DO. It is the responsibility of the person doing the work to research the local code to see if what he or she wants to do is allowable. Inspectors are endowed with very limited power of interpretation of the local code but may, under certain circumstances allow minor deviations that have no bearing on the safety of the installation.

Some inspectors are really hard-nosed about a VERY strict interpretation but some recognize that what is an easy requirement for a contractor can often be a financial hardship for a homeowner with absolutely no difference in the level of safety.

Old 02-07-15, 06:57 PM
Question 1 - Can I as a resident work on the electrical? Or is the exemption only for the official homeowner?
Till you start asking questions you don't even know if a homeowner can do his own electrical work.