Power to 3 way switch & single switch in same box

Old 02-08-15, 10:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power to 3 way switch & single switch in same box

I would like to feed a box with two switches, one single and one 3 way, with romex 12/3 w/ground from a junction box, using the red as the traveler for the single switch circuit back to the junction box and and 12/2 out of the junction box to the lights on that circuit.

But If possible I would like to attach a pig tail to the black wire (power in) and split off 2 black wires to power both switches. White and ground would pass through using a second 12/3 to the second 3 way switch on the other side. I would run 12/2 from the second 3 way to the light and on to other lights in that circuit in series.

The single switch would control 3 track lights with five 50 watt bulbs each and a two 100 watt fixtures. The 3 way would have three 100 watt fixtures.

Any problem with powering both switches that way, or with anything else in my plan?

Thanks, John

Old 02-08-15, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you are doing. Should be ok.

You can also use #14 NM cable for that circuit. It depends on where you are getting your feed from but #14 is good for 15amps and is a little easier to work with.

Old 02-08-15, 11:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I know it would be cheaper in wire and switches to stay with a 15 amp circuit,and easier to work with 14, but I never know when I might want to add to a circuit so I like to keep everything capable of 20 amps. I wouldn't make any money doing that for pay but it's going in my house so the extra capacity gives me a little peace of mind even if I never use it.

I was mainly concerned with the pigtail feed. I didn't think it was that different from pig tailing in the junction box and running separate feeds but I wanted to be sure I could save the wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: