Central media closet custom wall plate.

Old 02-08-15, 08:17 PM
Central media closet custom wall plate.

I was wondering if there was a place to get a custom made wall plate?

What I mean is I want to turn the top half of my coat closet into a media hub for a 3bedroom and living room setup with a DirecTV Genie and up to 3 clients (since the controllers are RF, range on controllers permitting), DVD/BlueRay multidisc player, security camera system, computer, wireless router, and a few other things.

I want the ability to put 12 power plugs, a USB and ethernet to each room, and coax off to each room from this closet.

I know I will need it on atleast 1 breaker maybe 2, but I am not sure or the amperage that 12 outlets would usually draw. Plus the amount of heat that this might generate so I need ventilation and to enclose the top half from the rest of the closet.

So anyone know where to get a custom plate?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-15, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

A large custom plate for wall installation is an absolute nightmare to install. The problem is if you have all the wires coming thru the wall into the plate.... by the time you terminate the ends you need slack and it won't all fit back in the wall. Trust me.....it's what I do.

A small patch bay in a rack would be more effective.

I would install one 20A circuit for all your equipment in that closet.
I would install several good power strips.
You will definitely need to remove heat from the closet.

I've used Datapro out in Washington state... DataPro Custom Plate Designer

Markertek is a class act company. In-House Custom Manufacturing - Wall Plates - Markertek

Old 02-08-15, 09:35 PM
Yes, a rack mount type deal was my first thought. But then I was thinking a single full plate would be better, as I want to spread the devices around the closet (ie: mounting vertically on the walls or on shelves built). But maybe a shelf rack type deal might work.

Old 02-09-15, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You also might want to look into the structured wiring boxes for residential media that are designed to do pretty much exactly what you're doing. It is a modular box for which they sell cat5/6 patch blocks, coax patch blocks, phone, etc.

For example: Structured Media® Enclosures

Beware that USB has a pretty short device-to-device distance limitation, 5 meters I think. Also that any wiring which goes through the wall should be CL2, CL3 or CMP rated for fire and heat resistance. Most computer cables are not unless specifically intended for use in the walls.