Satellite grounding specifics

Old 02-10-15, 07:41 AM
Satellite grounding specifics

I have read for a couple hours and don't get much on a couple specifics and some conflicting for grounding.
what I have is a new construction that has the service on one side of the home and the satelite will be mounting on the complete opposite along with the phone. What I plan to do is run a solid wire from the neutral/ground bar in the main service panel to where the satelite and phone cables will enter the residence. My confusion lies on the length that is acceptable on this and the size #6 or #8? The wire will probably be at least 90' if not 100' and I saw a couple forums said to run it straight. Well inevitably it will have bends to get to the service panel and 2 90 degree bends at the service panel on top of the bends getting to the panel.
What's size wire?
Are the bends acceptable?
Is my length ok?
Will my satelite and phone/internet be able to be grounded to this same wire?
I also see a coax cable ground length limited to 20' this kind of confused me - from where my coax enters the home next to the ground wite I am running to where it reaches the communications box is over 20' is this illegal?

Any help without telling me to refer to an article in the nec would greatly be appreciated. The code language and constant referrals to seperate articles make my head spin.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-15, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is easier than it seems. You need to install an intersystem ground bridge on the outside of the house, near the electrical service entrance. These can conveniently loop onto the grounding electrode conductor, a.k.a the #4 or #6 copper wire which goes to your ground rod. The intersystem bridge has screw terminals to connect ground wires for your various other telecom systems which need grounding such as the phone, CATV and satellite antenna. I believe the minimum size ground wire for the telecom systems is #14 copper and the minimum size for the satellite antenna is #10 copper. These wires should run on the exterior of the house, and on a path which is straight as practical.

The important thing is that each system should be grounded only at one point and that point must the the intersystem bond at the electrical service entrance.

http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-GB5-...dp/B00422M1K4#

Update: forgot to mention you can run the #10 copper satellite ground wire to the coax grounding block, and from the coax grounding block use the copper plated messenger wire embedded in the twin/quad coax which runs up the side of the house to the dish.

Old 02-10-15, 08:15 AM
Looking through my old Station Service Manual (Bell Systems Practices) I see references to grounding conductors from #14 to #10. Since I don't have my glasses handy (and therefore can't read the small print) I can't state for certain under just what conditions a larger grounding conductor is used with telephones but I recall station grounding conductor being #12 copper. Then again it was almost forty years ago I did telephone wiring.

Old 02-12-15, 11:40 AM
so you think 90-100' #10 will be fine? have to obviously have several bends to get the the main service panel should I step it up to #6?

Old 02-12-15, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
The grounding should be handled on the outside of the house.

Are you talking about running 100' of wire thru the house for ground ?
Antenna grounding needs to be short and sweet. 100' thru the house is not going to be effective.

I would drive a ground rod below the dish location and connect directly to that.

Old 02-12-15, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can upgrade the wire size, but you are not required to.

Old 02-12-15, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If another rod is driven it must be bonded to the GEC for the electrical panel.