Hot ground rev lights

Old 02-12-15, 03:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hot ground rev lights

I was asked to change two 15A C/B no problems, until I went to check my work, and I find I have 50 V of current on my ground from the box. I first ck all rec in the circuit and all check good, and I go to the CB box and I see the white wire is discolored and a little burn on it, so I clean and check the wire separate the ground and the white and the problem is no longer there. I'm glad it's fix, but how did it get 50v on it to begin with? Now the ground and white were on the same lug, and and now separated, so what happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-15, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
It sounds like those breakers may have been in a subpanel where the neutrals and grounds are separated. I'm not sure what your exact issue there is but it doesn't sound correct and could be potentially dangerous.

Now the ground and white were on the same lug, and and now separated
Is that like just the same but only different ?

Maybe a picture of the panel wiring would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-13-15, 04:15 AM
L
This was not on a sub panel, and this is an older box and the neutrals and grounds are on the same bar. I just took the neutral and cleaned it up and put it in a different area of the bar. The 50v was gone. Do not get raped around the CB they had nothing to do with the problem. This happen with the old as well as with the new CB.

Old 02-13-15, 05:54 AM
L
I did some more checking, and it was a open neutral, and because the connection was bad, the return power that should have went through the neutral it went through the ground, and that is were the the 50 volts came from. So when I cleaned the neutral, and made sure all was tight it solved the problem. If the open neutral light on the tester would have came on rather then the open hot it would have made trouble shooting a lot better.

Old 02-13-15, 07:09 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the open neutral light on the tester would have came on rather then the open hot it would have made trouble shooting a lot better.
Testers like that often give incorrect indications. That is why we always advise verify with an analog multimeter.

Old 02-13-15, 07:34 AM
L
After I had the lights I used the multimeter that is where I came up with the 50 volts on the ground. The plug tester is great little tool to get you started in the direction you need to go to solve the problem. Once you know that a hot ground and a open neutral can be one in the same problem it becomes an easy trouble shoot for this problem.

Old 02-13-15, 07:58 AM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
The plug tester is great little tool to get you started in the direction you need to go to solve the problem
Ummm....not really, they give too many wrong indications and cannot be trusted. Inspectors love them though because they are quick and easy. The only reliable result is when they say everything is fine. Most problem indications just tell me there is something wrong.

Old 02-13-15, 08:10 AM
L
I think that is what they are, a starting point. No more no less. It is much better to use this as an aid for a quick check. If you use this as 100% check for good and bad call someone you need a little schooling. But do not dismiss them, they have a place in your tool bag. To Casual Joe if you believe that two yellow lights are a good test why can't one red and a yellow?

Old 02-13-15, 05:50 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
To Casual Joe if you believe that two yellow lights are a good test why can't one red and a yellow?
I believe one red and one yellow might indicate either a hot/neutral reverse or a hot/ground reverse. My experience is that neither of these is usually the problem. These quick testers are easily fooled, but a red/yellow test result does mean something is wrong that requires troubleshooting. One yellow indicates an open ground and seems to be pretty trustworthy.