Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3-way switches in the middle of series of lights, w/ outdoor outlet & lights

3-way switches in the middle of series of lights, w/ outdoor outlet & lights

Old 02-13-15, 09:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 3-way switches in the middle of series of lights, w/ outdoor outlet & lights

Hi all, thanks for having me.

We are going to re-wire the sloppy lights in my basement. To keep it clean, I'd like to wire two 3-way switches in the "middle" of the series of lights (power straight to the switches, then back to the lights). Then extend the constant power & neutral wires to the last light, and from there go into the next room for lighting. And from there I'd like to go outside to power one GFCI outdoor receptacle and one outdoor light.

All lighting is low-power LED. 14-gauge wire planned. GFCI outlet outdoors w/ outdoor light downstream of the GFCI outlet. Diagram (also here: http://i.imgur.com/aiPJ1yb.png):

One problem might be that I've got too many wires running into a box (two boxes have 11 wires + grounds!).

Is this proper? Is there a better way to run 5 wires between two boxes besides a 14/2 and a 14/3 side by side? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-15, 11:19 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One problem might be that I've got too many wires running into a box (two boxes have 11 wires + grounds!).
If possible you could bring power into the first switch box, then a 3-conductor cable directly between the switches and a 2-conductor cable between the second switch and the first light and a 3-conductor cable between the first (left, bottom) to the last (left top). From last box you would run 2-conductor cables between the boxes clockwise to the second box (next to the first on the bottom).

Name:  aiPJ1yb.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  31.0 KB

Note above configuration would meet 2011 requirement for a neutral at each switch box even if not needed. Also all but one box would contain five wires and most wires would be seven (not including grounds).

Last edited by ray2047; 02-13-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 12:56 PM
A
Ray, thank you, you've really gone above & beyond with the description plus revised schematic. Much simpler overall.

The only thing I'm not following is, why the 3-conductor cable between the first & last lights? The second 3-way switch brings only switched power to the lights, but we've got to bring constant power into the next room (for lights on their own switch, plus the outdoor outlets etc.).

Using your idea, I modified my diagram as follows (full resolution here: http://i.imgur.com/DOX8cW9.png):

2-conductors almost everywhere, a maximum of 7 conductors in any one box (not including grounds). Power to the next room is pulled from the first switch box. Still not clear on that one 3-conductor that you mentioned.

Cheers.

Last edited by alheim; 02-13-15 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 02-13-15, 01:22 PM
The only thing I'm not following is, why the 3-conductor cable between the first & last lights?
The black of the 3-conductor caries unswitched (constant) power to The other lighting circuit. The red caries switched power to the lights on the circuit we are discussing.

But your
Power to the next room is pulled from the first switch box.
Is even beater. I was just trying to keep to your original diagram as much as possible.

Old 02-13-15, 03:51 PM
G
Ray, I'm confused. In your diagram you have a 2-conductor cable going from the second switch to the first light. Then a 3-conductor cable from the first to last light. Since the first light is only supplied by a 2-conductor cable where is the unswitched power coming from to feed the other circuit or am I missing something?

Old 02-13-15, 04:01 PM
Ray, I'm confused. In your diagram you have a 2-conductor cable going from the second switch to the first light.
I screwed up. You are correct. I was wrong. It wouldn't work my way.